Accuracy

COHunter

After having missed several shots last year I figured in the off season I would get to the range and shoot some sporting clays. After a few times out I think I've figured out the problem. I think my left eye is becoming stronger then my right. Or it could be that my right eye fatigues quickly. I was always taught to keep both eyes open. But I found that keeping my left eye open is setting my shot off. Anyone else have this problem, and what do you do about it (other then close your left eye)?

If you have glasses you can put a spot of black tape over the left eye. See if that helps at the range, might not want it in the field.

smudging chapstick on the lens of your cross dominant eye helps too.

I'm cross dominant. I actually shoot right handed with both eyes open and have found that if I have proper mount that my right eye takes over. I worked a lot on my mount this summer and my shooting has improved tremendously.

My son had something they called convergence deficiency, the only way that I know how to explain it is his eyes wouldn't look at the same thing at the same time, has nothing to do with vision but more about eye muscles. One of the most missed eye problems that people aren't aware of. Cost about $7000.00 and worth every penny.

The exercises he had to do with his eyes were silly to me but very effective, little things like holding a pencil at arms length and bringing it in to his nose and holding it a couple inches away while crosseyed and back out again.
He could only do it once in the beginning, his eyes would do weird things, wandering left and right while the other was straight.

Wonder if the muscle exercises would help the eyes to work together looking down the barrel to the bird??? Ask you eye doc. Might be that simple to correct

eye problems

we had quite a bit of fun with this a few months back so won't go there. there are a very small percentage of people that have two dominate eyes I believe, don't have a clue what they do, probably the same thing cross dominate do, try and learn to stare or close an eye

cheers

If you have glasses you can put a spot of black tape over the left eye. See if that helps at the range, might not want it in the field.

I am cross dominant... It sucks. The tape/Chapstick is complete BS to me. It may work good at the range, where you stand in one place the whole time. Walking through the fields with one eye partially distorted was not easy, nor did I think it was safe. It also gave me a headache quite quickly.

I am just resigned to a life of mediocre shooting.

Wow, thanks for all the info. I think what I will try, for dove season to start, is a set of cheep flip-up sunglasses that I can put tape on. That way I can flip them up if there causing problems. Dove is mostly still hunting so I can break it in, see how it works. I would be concerned about pheasant hunting without the use of one eye

Using something to distort the vision of the dominate eye does work. The trick is to not cover the whole lens or even most of it. Mount the gun, closing the dominate eye and then have someone, if you can't do it yourself, use a finger to find the point where the dominate eye is looking out of the shooting glasses. A small stickem dot or Vaseline / chapstick can be used. Small does work, as it distracts the dominate eye and the weak one takes over.

This does work, as I can attest to. Another means is to just learn to shoot on the dominate eye side. Late for this hunting season but take the tie in the off season and you will be amazed. Buddy had the problem and could even run 50% on clays, took a month to learn to use the other side and in 5 months he was winning competitions. Of course it didn't work for me.

I'm developing Glaucoma in my left eye, and I shoot right handed with both eyes open....don't figure it will matter much what my technique is if I don't get a handle on the progression of this disease. I can't tell any difference between my right and left eyes, but the left eye tested as having lost a good bit of peripheral vision per the optometrist testing me for my new pair of glasses.

Back