A Word of Caution (for dogs) This Time of Year...

Point!

As I write this I'm getting ready to venture out to one of my favorite dove hunting spots. Like most of you, I know that spots between bodies of water and feed with roosting spots nearby are prime this time of year. Then, it dawned on me....bodies of water? Hmmmm....for most of us that will mean a pond or a lake.

For you guys brave (or foolish) enough to take dogs with you the next couple of days in this heat, please be advised that the weather has been pretty condusive for HAB (Harmful Algal Bloom).

Chances are that if you're out the next couple of days with your four legged buddies, they'll be looking for water to drink and cool off in. As you know Blue-Green Algae can be/is very deadly do dogs (doesn't help humans much either).

Please see the link below for advisories/warnings in Kansas.

Good luck all, and be careful

www.kdheks.gov/algae-illness/algae_advisories.htm

and

http://maps.kdhe.state.ks.us/bgacountycurrent/

Point!

WOW thanks, I lost a dog about 15 years ago after a trip to our farm, ended up woth kidney failure and finally died after a couple weeks. I thought at the time it was from eating frogs, but now i wonder if it could have been algae.

Milford Lake is dealing with that stuff and it's no joke. From what I understand six dogs have died as a result of the poisioning...

This is a great reminder Point! Very thoughtful of you to share. I planned my trip around the algea but sharing with the group never crossed my mind:eek:

Back