A story that could save your dogs Life

Dave&Midge

Bout 30yrs ago I had a friend wanted to start quail hunting . So one morning he came over and I introduced him to my Brittany dog. He ask why she was on a chain instead of a kennel. I told him of times I found illegal snares where I hunted and a dog that was use to a chain may not fight the snare or barbwire fence as a dog that had never been on a chain before , He laughed at me and said that was just nonsense. My father a coon hunter told me as a young boy he had seen dogs severely injured in barbwire fences when they were hung by the collar cause of never been tied out. So it just made sense Dad knew what he was talk-in bout. I have not seen this fellow in many years but got a call yesterday. was not a pleasant conversation. He was hunting a new young pup way up NE Missouri were there were hog fences and tight strung barb wire due to quit a bit hog farming. His new dog apparently got his collar hung in a GOUCHO type barbed fence about a 100 yards from him. The dog had never seen the end of a chain before what I was told just a lead strap. The young pup panicked and was super severely cut into pieces. Will live but may be a very long time to hunt. He called to say he wished that maybe he might have listened a little bit. May not have made any difference but might have .Not wanting to start any debates just a share a story and a thought . Dave

I'll take my chances.Never tethered a dog,never will. Too many things to go wrong.

A friend of mine had similar situation with one of his walker hounds that he used in competion hunts. The dog was out for most of the trial season due to the severity of cuts.All together it took 257 stitches to close up the wounds plus tons of antibiotics for infection.

I don't see anything wrong with staking a dog out. Really don't do it at home, but will do it at trials, unless it's cold. Then it's in the dog box.

Back