A common tip

When my Chessie is tracking a runner we definitely pick up the pace. When she starts running I tone her back with the e collar. This can go on for quite some time, so I practice patience. We have been very successful in this method of not yelling at her or making a bunch of noise controlling her. Let the collar do the talking.

My most memorable hunts are the ones with just me and my dog. It’s amazing how much “better” of a hunter I become when it’s that way. I follow my dog anywhere, let her set the pace, and I never seem to miss. Throw a couple of other hunters, dogs, and distractions into the mix and it’s a whole different ball-game.

My most memorable hunts are the ones with just me and my dog. It’s amazing how much “better” of a hunter I become when it’s that way. I follow my dog anywhere, let her set the pace, and I never seem to miss. Throw a couple of other hunters, dogs, and distractions into the mix and it’s a whole different ball-game.
Me too. I just let my dog take the wind and run and I go where he goes unless I know where they are at due to scouting. Both types of hunt are awesome. I couldn't pick one if you told me to.

Me too. I just let my dog take the wind and run and I go where he goes unless I know where they are at due to scouting. Both types of hunt are awesome. I couldn't pick one if you told me to.
Me three haha I love hunting alone. I can focus easier. Just me and the dog. Easier to work as a team that way. If I want to rush there's no worries about someone else falling behind. If I Wana go at a snails pace, no worry about being behind anyone.

Plus I hate not being able to cross over in front of my other group members when my dogs birdy as hell and I'm trying to tell them to move up but they can't hear me haha

My most enjoyable hunting is with just one dog. Mostly in control with the occasional old man sprint but no swearing and minimal fumbling with the transmitter. Take two dogs out and I will see a lot more birds, swear more and carry more empties back to the truck. Once let 3 out and boy did I see birds, but spent the whole time on the transmitter and no time shooting.

It's axiomatic that if you are hunting with labs and they get birdy, you get to running...

Years ago when there were more birds I would wait until other groups would finish hunting a field and know that if I worked it slow I would find birds they missed. I was always successful. More recent years I like to be the first one to the field to catch the dumb birds. I am usually running through the field. I have learned that if the dog gets birdy I need to trust the dog. Follow her pace. Most of the time she will produce a bird. You have to be able to read your dog.

I have a new dog this year, so it will be slow and steady again.

I always get back to the truck and think there was one (or more) that probably got buy us today. Sometimes you even get to see one slither over into private property and think he outsmarted us today. You have to leave some for seed, gives you something to look forward to on the next trip.
I agree.Never shoot a place out.I hunt fast, but that's my style. My lab hits it hard, I can't complain.

When the Wrecking Crew gets birdy, I'm hustling over and getting in their hip pockets...

Thanks for posting this! I try my best to slow down and pay attention to the dog but sometimes the anticipation gets me and I walk faster than I need to. This is a great reminder.

I agree, but its also fun putting an ass whipping on other guys!!

Reading all these replies has me literally laughing out loud. Great topic. When my current lab was a pup I ran with her. she was excited and I was excited. But I figured out I rarely shot anything while running with her. I've also figured out that I'm only looking for 2-3 roosters. It doesn't have to be the first 3 we encounter. Now I can control my lab quite easily with the tone on her e-collar. But a couple times a year, she gets crazy and it's her hard to slow her down. I've figured out that when she does that there's probably a bunch of birds right in front of us. I've also figured out if there's a bunch of birds right in front of us, they will probably flush JUST out of range.

Moral to the story is, I'm not running anymore. If a bird runs out the other end or flushes out of range? That's a bird I wasn't going to get anyway. I just need 3 roosters to sit each day and I'm done.

Reading all these replies has me literally laughing out loud. Great topic. When my current lab was a pup I ran with her. she was excited and I was excited. But I figured out I rarely shot anything while running with her. I've also figured out that I'm only looking for 2-3 roosters. It doesn't have to be the first 3 we encounter. Now I can control my lab quite easily with the tone on her e-collar. But a couple times a year, she gets crazy and it's her hard to slow her down. I've figured out that when she does that there's probably a bunch of birds right in front of us. I've also figured out if there's a bunch of birds right in front of us, they will probably flush JUST out of range.

Moral to the story is, I'm not running anymore. If a bird runs out the other end or flushes out of range? That's a bird I wasn't going to get anyway. I just need 3 roosters to sit each day and I'm done.
I am pretty much through with running as well.

Back