6r Upland Kennels - GSPs

Anyone out there have any experience with 6R Upland Kennels for Shorthairs ? He seems like he really knows his stuff and appears to have some really good lines of GSPs.

Thanks,

I talked to the guy for a while at an event in DSM a few years ago. Seemed like a great guy and that he knew his stuff. I think he may have invited me to come out to his place to train, if I remember correctly. Don't know much about his dogs though.

I have a pup from him. She's now 2 yrs old and is a hell of a dog. Chris is a great guy and you are right, he raises terrific dogs. He does this as a full time occupation 24/7/365. He lives it, breathes it, and sleeps it. His line is pure Moosgaard Shorthairs. This line is known for tenacious bird drive, intelligence, athletic ability, and its love for people. My dog is my familys best friend, my youngest kids favorite playmate, my wife loves her, and she's a tremendous hunter who just will not quit when in the field. An d she stays in the house. I couldnt have asked for a better dog. We let Chris pick her out of the litter after he got to know us abit. He chose very well. She's also been to his place twice for training. How did that work out? I dont have any trouble finding hunting partners...if you know what I mean. Go check him out, he has a great kennel. His Duece-Queenie line is awsome. Anything out of Duece or Ajax is going to be a winner. Tell him Dan Cole sent you.

Says on their website that they just had their first dog checked for hip problems. That's a bit disconcerting if they've been at this for awhile. Some decent dogs in the pedigree but not a lot of proven success in trials, hunt tests, NAVHDA/NSTRA etc. What I'd do in a case like that is ask to see some young dogs out of the same lines work--not trained ones, but young ones not fully polished yet.

Hips are not a problem for GSP's. We can thank the Germans for that if you know what I mean. Still, being a breeder for the length of time as they have all their dogs should have been tested if you have a breeding program. Over 2 years old should be OFA Cert. Just in case, but to this day and all the breeders I have ever talked to, not one GSP to their recollection has ever had bad hips. Would of questioned that though if I was a Buyer!!

Chris gives a full health guarantee with all his dogs, including hips and eyes. Dont make a mountain out of a mole hill guys. He has great dogs. If you dont want to shop there, thats fine. However, you just may be walking away from the best dog you'll ever have.

Dan, please read the posts again. I do not think from what I read that we are bashing his dogs. A red flag popped up with the hip thing on the website. On the other hand, how can a breeder guarantee hips if he has only just finished testing one dog???? Does that make sense? Raises a red flag! I am glad you have a great dog from his kennel and there are probably a lot more!!! Thanks

You're right, maybe I read more into it then needed to be. I've met many of his dogs and more importantly, Ive met alot of those dogs owners. Everyone is very pleased with their dog. He has a ton of comments and referals over at gundogbreeder.com (is it legal to mention that site?). I recommend readin them. Also, several of his bredding dogs have Jr hunt titles, thats about all of the trialing he does. Give him a call and ask all the questions you want, Ive found him to be very honest and open about his dogs. He's not worried about finding buyers, the buyers are finding him.

If you know nothing about a dog breeder, you try to look for OBJECTIVE ratings of things that can be measured by others. Hips aren't a huge problem in GSP's, I think OFA has 4-5% of them showing up as having problems, one of the lower %'s of common breeds--but I don't know many signficant breeders who don't get their prime breeders hips checked by either OFA or PennHip. Breeders guarantees don't mean much to me, by the time you find out a dog has a problem you've had it for a year or more and it's awful tough to just get rid of it if you treat it like a pet.

Dog trials and tests are another thing that can be used to measure dog's you don't know. His touting of JH status was actually another concern I had, most breeders of hunting dogs would shoot for SH or MH, many wouldn't bother with JH tests.

Doesn't mean the dogs from this fellow aren't great, just that you can't tell that from info he provides.

Back