6 month Vizsla

prauch

My Vizsla just turned 6 months old. I have had out in fields many times just to have a good time. I have followed the same approach with introducing birds to get him comfortable. He has no problem going up to them and even picking them up. I have been using chukars, pen raised, and have not been strong flyers.My pup has stopped pointing and just goes right up on them and if they don't fly, he picks them up. I am worried of having to break him of this habbit in the long run but at this point I wanted him to have fun.
Should I continue to let him have fun until he is older? He is also not afraid of the 22 cap gun I have fired when the birds actually fly off which is few and far between.

Dog Likes Birds, Not to Worry

I think your dog has amply demonstrated bird interest. No need to overdo it. I would cease the contact with pen raised, non-fliers. Next bird contact should be wild birds during the season. Might want to fire off a few rounds louder than a .22 while on some walks in the country. Just shoot randomly while the dog is paying no attention to you and act as if nothing unusual has happened. Good luck.

Back