5 month old puppy pointing and flushing wild Quail in East Central Indiana!

RedLion

Quail are sparse around these parts. But, I found these 2 large coveys on my neighbors old cattle farm. Still has fence rows, plenty of covert, two creeks that connect to a railroad, thickets, etc. If you have habitat they can survive. Hunting season has long passed here in Indiana (1/14/21 when this was filmed). I have permission to hunt on this farm but there is no way I'm going to do that. The few coveys we have left around here need left alone. However, I will definitely use them for dog training occasionally! Very impressed with this pup! She's a natural when it comes to Upland hunting.

I missed the point on the second flush. She pointed and the birds came up in 2 waves. I only caught the second wave.

More birds around than you mught think. I hunt quail in E central and S/E IN.
Yes as you move southeast it gets better. And clearly they are here and healthy enough for a hunting season. I just don’t see them that often.
I have access to a property that has unbelievable covert....hundreds of acres. Not one quail so far and it looks like quail heaven.
But there are definitely pockets of birds in different areas.

I live and hunt quail in SW Indiana. Quail populations are actually pretty decent in my area. I had a hunt this year where I found 6 coveys in an 1:45 minutes. The majority of the land I hunt is reclaimed coal mine property (which looks very similar to the ground in your video). That is where the best mix of native shrubs, grasses and trees are.

A property that has two coveys of decent size (12-15 birds in each) could stand to have a few shot. I never shoot a covey below 10 birds but that is my own personal number. I actually work my dogs more after Indiana season ends. If you are solely looking for dog work some land owners will give you permission if you tell them you are just going to find them and not shoot any. Dog work is honestly the only reason I got into upland hunting.

With all that said. A 5 month old pup holding a point on a covey is a work of art. I think you will have a good little bird dog on your hands.

I live and hunt quail in SW Indiana. Quail populations are actually pretty decent in my area. I had a hunt this year where I found 6 coveys in an 1:45 minutes. The majority of the land I hunt is reclaimed coal mine property (which looks very similar to the ground in your video). That is where the best mix of native shrubs, grasses and trees are.

A property that has two coveys of decent size (12-15 birds in each) could stand to have a few shot. I never shoot a covey below 10 birds but that is my own personal number. I actually work my dogs more after Indiana season ends. If you are solely looking for dog work some land owners will give you permission if you tell them you are just going to find them and not shoot any. Dog work is honestly the only reason I got into upland hunting.

With all that said. A 5 month old pup holding a point on a covey is a work of art. I think you will have a good little bird dog on your hands.
Thank you! I’m very pleased with her!
Quail populations are good in southern Indiana for sure. I think the regulations used to designate an increased limit south of 26.
(Maybe it still does).
This property is near homes and kids etc. I’m not going to fire a gun around and upset my neighbors. Although I agree a few birds could come out. A friend of mine is good enough that he will only shoot males which also helps protect the population. I’m not that good!

Wife and I went over to Goose Pond area (in June I think). Were looking for something to do during the shutdown.

Found a nice little trail to pull of and we hiked around a little. I heard at least 6 and probably 8 different Bob's singing. Made a mental note of where it was and it looks like it's huntable, but I didn't hunt it.

Turns out it was in Green Sullivan SF. I think they have hunting there.

Also saw a barn owl at the same spot. Not sure I have ever seen one of those before. And the whole area was loaded with Indigo Buntings.

Thank you! I’m very pleased with her!
Quail populations are good in southern Indiana for sure. I think the regulations used to designate an increased limit south of 26.
(Maybe it still does).
This property is near homes and kids etc. I’m not going to fire a gun around and upset my neighbors. Although I agree a few birds could come out. A friend of mine is good enough that he will only shoot males which also helps protect the population. I’m not that good!
The cutoff is now I-74. 5 birds north and 8 birds south and I think the North Season ends sooner. Maybe a month earlier Dec 15h or something

Wife and I went over to Goose Pond area (in June I think). Were looking for something to do during the shutdown.

Found a nice little trail to pull of and we hiked around a little. I heard at least 6 and probably 8 different Bob's singing. Made a mental note of where it was and it looks like it's huntable, but I didn't hunt it.

Turns out it was in Green Sullivan SF. I think they have hunting there.

Also saw a barn owl at the same spot. Not sure I have ever seen one of those before. And the whole area was loaded with Indigo Buntings.
I have hunted Green-Sullivan SF. There are birds there. You have to be careful as the best hunting is on the east side of CR 350 but this area is closed to hunting. It is first come first serve and really isn't managed for hunting.

I have also hunted Goose Pond. It is a draw in hunt on specific days of the week. I have drawn in and had moderate success. I have also gone and not been drawn as there were to many groups drawing in that day. If you aren't drawn it is easy to jump over to Green-Sullivan as it is not a far drive from GP. I live roughly an hour away and I might hunt GP once a year just for a change of scenery.

Being a bird hunter in Indiana I have plenty of access to birds but the majority of the individuals I hunt on would like me to wait until deer season ends. I am fine with that but it sure does shrink down the season. Greene Sullivan and GP are decent options to hunt early in the quail season. It should be noted that I consider it a successful hunt if I find one covey on public land. Two coveys is a heck of day.

With all that being said Glendale Fish & Wildlife (Daviess County) area does a put and take for pheasants the week of Thanksgiving. This is a great option for anyone that wants to get into some birds. I attend this hunt every year usually two or three days. It is always a great time.

I have never hunted Bluegrass FWA just north of Evansville off Booneville New Harmony Rd. I have had friends who hunt it and have had some success. It looks very similar to Greene-Sullivan SF as it is all coal mine reclaim ground. Has anyone hunted there?

Back