.410?

Lets pretend that an experienced hunter would wound less birds with a 410 than a rookie with a 12 gauge. The experienced shot isn't perfect and is going to shoot to far or his aim will be off maybe not often but it will happen and he'll lose a bird he would have killed dead with a 12 gauge (or 20 or 16). Is it right that he went into the field with a gun knowing he had a great chance of wounding a bird because a rookie is losing birds? Thats strange logic. People wounding game in the name of a challenge or to stroke an ego should just shoot clays.

All right - I'll grant this point. You kinda torqued me off with your first couple posts that kinda made is sound like I should have a dog or not hunt, and that I was living in fantasyland at such close shots, but on this you are correct. Yeah, I can hold myself to take shots only at close range, and what could still potentially wound a bird that would have been either a clean kill or an easier find. I'm not limited to one gun (ask my wife), so I guess a .410 is a poor choice when I've got a safe crammed with 12's, 20's and of course, 16's.

Thanks everyone.

Looks like I need to take a look at that .410's big brother, or wait till something with some character shows up at the store...

Just to be clear I've nothing against pheasant hunting without dogs. I've gone dogless more than with dogs and probably killed similiar numbers of birds both ways. Using a 410 because you don't have a dog makes no sense. Be like buying a 2 wheel drive truck because you drive unplowed roads. Totally opposite of whats reality. If you want a light weight gun that still is a great choice on pheasants look into a light weight 20 gauge. The benelli ultralight is slightly over 5 pounds. There are other sub 6 pound guns out there too.

Tuna, I hunt a lot with my 28 gauge O/U. Now, there is a gun most hunters will accept before they will a .410. I know shooters that are deadly as all get out with a 410. But they still cross-eyed looks when they uncase it. The 28 has a very light recoil, shoot 3/4 ounce of shot. As the gun expert said, they will do the same thing as a 12 but in smaller fashion. You cannot change the Laws of Physics. A hunter has to have some good shooting skills to use that small shot load and get the job done. If I was starting a new shooter in the field or on clays I'd start them with a 28. Let them start early to develop their shooting skills. I will say this any bird that hits the ground my Brittany Tony, is right there to do the retrieve work. He has not lost a bird in 3 years. Heck I even cripple a few with my 20 gauge so what is the big deal, no shooter kills them all.......Bob

Last edited:
.410 Gun on Pheasants

I've got an O/U 12ga that I just don't like. I'm thinking of trading it in. At my local gun store, two guns really caught my eye - both SxS's, one in 12ga and one in .410.

I'm really leaning toward the .410 to use mainly as a teaching tool for new shooters. No, this wouldn't be aerial targets, anyone that calls a .410 a beginners hunting or skeet gun is nuts, but for stationary targets (cans, etc) it is a step up from a .22 (wow - I get to shoot a SHOTGUN today?!) and gives a good chance of hitting and is more fun.

My question to you is - do you know anyone who hunts pheasant with a .410? Before you yell about ethics:
I don't hunt with a dog, so most of my flushes are under 10 feet (I've actually beheaded birds in flight with a load of #6 in 16ga)
Not meaning to brag, but I'm a very good shot
If I don't think I can hit an animal, I don't shoot - period

So, for close range work, what do you think of the .410? Like I said, under 20 feet or so, no pattern is going to open up much, so #6 is still #6.

Thanks

A .410 is an excellent choice for introducing the shotgun to the inexperienced. Moreover, I don't think it is unethical to hunt pheasant with a .410. It is surprising how little shot is in pheasants shot with 12 ga. guns. I shot my first pheasant at 12 with a .410 and it was just as dead as any I ever shot with a 12.

Really great shooters can kill birds with the .410. Crappy shooters cripple with 2 oz. 12 ga loads.

I'm not good enough to use a .410, but give me Wayne Mayes with his .410 and he'll leave fewer cripples than a poor shot with a 10 ga.

Years ago Winchester had a team of shooters who used their Model 42 (same as a model 12 pump, but .410 bore) who shot wild pheasants for exhibition. They almost never lost a bird.

Yep and Walter Bell shot over 1000 elephants with a 7mm Mauser (roughly the same as a 7mm-08). I would not try that either.

Back