3 half day hunts over the last 4 days make for some . . .

nstric

. . . tired legs!

It only gets easier with age, right guys/gals? Ken? Kraig? ;-)

Gained permission to a new 160 acre piece of CRP this morning. It's newly planted, and therefore still thin, but I did manage two roosters on two shots. Gunner led me to each, pinning them down and making for easy shots. Two additional roosters flushed wild, and 20+ hens were sighted.

Shot my third and last rooster on another new-to-me piece, this one quite small, but seeded really well. An immediate point from Gunner yielded a covey rise of 6-8 hens and one rooster that I connected with for my third and last of the day.

Came home and immediately made up some pheasant sloppy joe's for me, and pheasant innards and scraps for Gunner.

A good day. Back at it again on Monday. Can you believe we've only a bit more than a week left to the season? It's gone fast this year.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv39897%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D374379%3A27%3A338nu0mrj

Easier with age.....your kidding right:) Plus, you are in great shape to boot. It must have been tough walking.

I can not believe there is only a week left really. I moved to Iowa this past fall and have been out twice. Unreal. I have to run down to KC for a meeting Tuesday morning. Other than that, I am going to try and get out next week a couple of times.

Ha Ha!

I can promise you Nate the only thing that gets easier with age is to----take a nap!:D

Nice work on the birds and great to get a new place to hunt or two!

Would you be willing to share the pheasant sloppy joe recipe? I eat the pheasant and wild rice quite often and have made your ham and cranberry juice recipe twice already this year.:)

Ken

Would you be willing to share the pheasant sloppy joe recipe? I eat the pheasant and wild rice quite often and have made your ham and cranberry juice recipe twice already this year.:)
Sure thing. It's nothing fancy, and just something I throw together to use the pheasant that gets shot up more than I prefer.

- Approximately 3 pheasant, ground
- One can of tomato sauce
- Half an onion, chopped
- The following, to taste: chili powder, red pepper flake, black pepper, etc.
- Yellow mustard
- Catsup

Brown the meat and onion. Drain liquid. Add all but mustard and catsup. Allow ingredients to meld together for as long (an hour?) or little (5 min?) as you've time and patience.

Serve on bread, a bun, in a tortilla, or in a bowl. I don't personally eat a lot of bread, so it's in a bowl for me. Top with mustard and catsup and enjoy!

I never get tired of seeing photos of Iowa roosters. Thank you.

Congratulations on finding new spots to hunt. Seeing new places is one of the things I love about upland hunting.

Thank you Nate!:)

I will give your recipe a go later on today. I may add a little ground pork sausage and parsley to your ingredients as I find pheasant--like deer needs a little fat added in to keep it moist.

Have you ever tried pheasant with a cream of mushroom soup as an ingredient? I had a recipe once but lost it that was very good!

Here is to good eats!:)

Ken

Have you ever tried pheasant with a cream of mushroom soup as an ingredient? I had a recipe once but lost it that was very good!
Enjoy! I had the same for lunch today, as did the kids.

Cream of mushroom soup . . . absolutely. I used to *only* do crockpot pheasant, with rice, cream of mushroom soup, etc.

The Cream of Mushroom is great... I'm assuming you guys have tried bacon strips as well... both are about the only way we cook them. :)

Back