2022 Road side counts

Isn't the prohibition in place to keep wildlife from being unnecessarily harassed and to promote production of waterfowl?

WPAs are indeed closed to dog training and dogs must be on a leash until a hunting season begins or is open.

WPAs closed to ALL dog training must be a relatively newer law ... last decade (or two) or so ??

At one time the law was geared towards professional dog trainers not being allowed, but people could train their personal dogs. I know I ran my dogs in the 80s and 90s and sometimes chatted with USF&WS personnel while doing so.

You can run your dog on or after July 15th without a permit if you do not carry a gun with live ammo.

Permits are needed (I have had one - years ago) if you are training as part of a large group (training and trials), during the closed time period or shooting pen raised birds. Example is people train dogs in June on 4 Brooks near Mille Lacs. Need a permit.

Last edited:
Well luckily I wasn't doing any training I was just out for a walk, so I would say that is a extremely gray area. I looked up the federal site for WPA's and they are very specific on refuges and training but nothing really in regards to a normal WPA. Either way I have walked this spot for years as a warm up to the season and never been bothered by anyone. When I left there was another guy out there doing the exact same thing I just got done doing. Either way I am not to concerned with getting stopped or having a issue with a CO on this.

Well luckily I wasn't doing any training I was just out for a walk, so I would say that is a extremely gray area. I looked up the federal site for WPA's and they are very specific on refuges and training but nothing really in regards to a normal WPA. Either way I have walked this spot for years as a warm up to the season and never been bothered by anyone. When I left there was another guy out there doing the exact same thing I just got done doing. Either way I am not to concerned with getting stopped or having a issue with a CO on this.
You can do what you want, but the rules are pretty explicit that dogs aren't allowed off leash outside the small game season:

Attachments

• Screenshot_20220912-211803_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    Screenshot_20220912-211803_Acrobat for Samsung.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 12
Back