2022 pheasant harvest by state

MN doesn't relay their estimate of small game harvest from the previous season until October. 225k is about what I would expect. It was 204k in 2022. Last fall was very mild and snowless and a lot of casual hunters probably kept hunting later into the season here.

Kansas only shot 225k pheasants in 23-24. Probably lower than MN.
Thanks for the info. I still remember when I posted this original thread you had a lot of data really quick! For some reason I must not be as good searching the internet for info as you. I appreciate it. I talked to the team at the MN DNR that compiles the small game survey numbers. I believe it used to come out a little earlier, but lately it has been delayed a bit. I don't think there's any set date, but they ballpark it around sept./oct. release.

where do the harvest numbers come from? is this voluntary reporting on end of season surveys?

Thanks for the info. I still remember when I posted this original thread you had a lot of data really quick! For some reason I must not be as good searching the internet for info as you. I appreciate it. I talked to the team at the MN DNR that compiles the small game survey numbers. I believe it used to come out a little earlier, but lately it has been delayed a bit. I don't think there's any set date, but they ballpark it around sept./oct. release.

Kansas's small game survey just came out. I usually keep pretty careful track as the states report out. Some easier to obtain than others.

where do the harvest numbers come from? is this voluntary reporting on end of season surveys?

I don't know every state's methodology. Kansas sends out a survey to about 29k people who bought hunting licenses, have lifetime licenses, or do not need a license to be able to hunt (landowners, tenants, etc.). They get about 8k responses back and extrapolate the data.

Hard time believing that for Kansas. These numbers have always been a joke for me. Maybe Kansas counts planted birds killed as well like SD.

Back