2021 Bird Hunting Pics/Reports

Hunted a piece today with my new dog. It was his first pheasant hunt. The public piece had several other hunters working the fields. My pup didn’t find any live birds, but recovered a crippled dead rooster.

Hopefully next time he’ll get his first point while hunting.

Elcho Weekend IMG_1627.jpg
Hit the woodcock pretty good two weekends ago. Grouse numbers decent, too. This past weekend in Vilas Co, the woodcock had mostly moved on. Lots of chalk on the ground and only a few birds.

Bird numbers are good where I hunt. We've put up a few different young coveys where the roosters haven't turned yet. Let a couple fly that I wasn't sure on only to have them cackle 80 yards out. We've killed 7 already in this young season, been a lot of guys out but my normal honey holes haven't been pounded yet. Last year I couldn't get one with my little guy, this year I've shot 6 with him on my back. All killed on public without stocking nearby. Leave for SD in the AM, can't wait.

LukeNiko.jpg

Bird numbers are good where I hunt. We've put up a few different young coveys where the roosters haven't turned yet. Let a couple fly that I wasn't sure on only to have them cackle 80 yards out. We've killed 7 already in this young season, been a lot of guys out but my normal honey holes haven't been pounded yet. Last year I couldn't get one with my little guy, this year I've shot 6 with him on my back. All killed on public without stocking nearby. Leave for SD in the AM, can't wait.

View attachment 2216
Nice pic, glad to see you taking your son out. Good luck in SD. I'm heading out there on Monday. Can't wait!

Hey guys looking for some advise. Both of my labs are from a breeder in northern WI. Planning a 2022 trip west and want to hunt my way out and back. Hoping to do a 2-3 week round trip. My question is does WI have a population of native pheasant? I know grouse is big up north but I'm thinking of hunting the southern part of the state. Any advise or info is much appreciated.

Hey guys looking for some advise. Both of my labs are from a breeder in northern WI. Planning a 2022 trip west and want to hunt my way out and back. Hoping to do a 2-3 week round trip. My question is does WI have a population of native pheasant? I know grouse is big up north but I'm thinking of hunting the southern part of the state. Any advise or info is much appreciated.
You don't want to hunt S.WI. It's a complete shitshow. If you insist, make it during the week. It's almost exclusively a put-n-take hunt.

If you want to hunt wild pheasants, try western WI...around Eau Claire. It's tough though...no doubt.

I'd just hunt grouse in N.WI. That's the best! Birds have been excellent this year.

You don't want to hunt S.WI. It's a complete shitshow. If you insist, make it during the week. It's almost exclusively a put-n-take hunt.

If you want to hunt wild pheasants, try western WI...around Eau Claire. It's tough though...no doubt.

I'd just hunt grouse in N.WI. That's the best! Birds have been excellent this year.
Western and northwest WI has a wild pheasant population. I'm not going to give you GPS pins or anything but I would be willing to help you get started in a direction if you want to shoot me a PM, I hunt a couple different counties and kill wild birds (I think, no stocking nearby any of my spots). But in my opinion your time would be spent FAR FAR FAR better just heading west right away and get an extra day or two out in the Dakota's.

SD trip was good, I killed 11 in 4 days. Last day I only needed one and flushed a big group of 8 roosters and similar number of hens all within 30 yards. I've never seen anything like it, dusted my one and watched as 7 roosters flushed all within range. Killed 2 old boys the last day with one having spurs approaching an inch. I would've thought about a mount, but a 25 yard easy crossing shot took care of that idea.

I agree about passing on WI unless you are trying to fulfill a vision quest by killing birds in every state or something. There are wild roosters in WI but not something I would stop and do at the expense of arriving in the dakotas or MN a day later.

Thank you very much for the info and honesty guys. We made the drive from Mass to WI back in the spring to pick up our new pup. My 6 year old lab was from the same breeder. The area in my opinion was gorgeous compared to Mass. We have state planted birds that are simply owl, hawk, and coyote feed if the hunters can't get them first.

I made a trip to SD 4 years ago and it was awesome. This time the trip will be a combo sight seeing trip for the wife and I and an upland trip as well. Trying to spend more time on the ground and minimum on the tar, and make everyone happy. Just difficult going into this blind with limed knowledge of the various states.

grossklw, thank you for your generosity. As my plans develop I may take you up on that. We may end up starting our hunting in MN, or IA first before heading up into the Dakota's Just not sure yet.

Back