2020 season

Tbear

UPH Master
Season is right around the corner got the dogs out today. Tune up at the game farm next Saturday and probably a few more times after that with the new pup. Lots of trips planned for me already. Anyone going to chase sharp tail in a few weeks?

I drew a permit for prairie chickens.

Heading up to NW MN in a couple of weeks for prairie chickens and sharptails.

Have bought a bunch of shotshells, lead and boss bismuth. Ordered a new gun a week ago. Looking at a few trips to either Iowa, SD, or W/SW MN this year. Can't wait to get out there in the pheasant fields again. Saw a bunch this spring, but now with the crops up I haven't seen one in a long while. I will be out as much as time allows. My uncle in SC MN has seen two roosters walk across his driveway every day. He lives on 80 acres of CRP.

I will get to ND for sharps and huns twice before month end as well...should get 15 days of prairie bird hunting before month end...it has become my favorite...love the country, love the fact that I can see my dogs all the time, love the lack of pressure...love the weather...good stuff!

I will get to ND for sharps and huns twice before month end as well...should get 15 days of prairie bird hunting before month end...it has become my favorite...love the country, love the fact that I can see my dogs all the time, love the lack of pressure...love the weather...good stuff!

What kind of dog(s) do you have? Have always wanted an earlier season trip to MT or even to SD for Sharpies. I've got a lab that is starting to age, and I am a "lab guy" but am starting to rethink about getting a pointer next to be able to do some of those things. That said, most of my hunting is pheasants in cattails in MN and SD and a lab works great in there where others won't go! But the draw of some wide open prairie sounds like fun to me.

3 labs...pointing labs...we kill all sorts of prairie birds despite being warned by guys with pointers that we’ll struggle...candidly, they may be right in most circumstances, but we’re blessed with great spots...

3 labs...pointing labs...we kill all sorts of prairie birds despite being warned by guys with pointers that we’ll struggle...candidly, they may be right in most circumstances, but we’re blessed with great spots...

My 8 year old lab has developed a pointing extinct that gets better and better each year, (obviously I'm biased) that has helped turn him into a great hunter- just those 2-3 seconds of pointing before he goes in for the flush is enough to let me know it's go time. I am going to look into an actual pointing lab for my next dog soon, and would like to spend some time in the field with a few other pointing breeds before making any decisions.

Enjoy the fall and early trips out west!

Back