2020 Report

I have hunted two spots in Indiana this year. Have seen one hen and one cock, who is hanging in my garage. Have had much better luck across the border in Illinois so far, but only been out 2 days. But did bag the cock on the left in Indiana, the one on the right in Illinois.

202 2 state cocks.jpg

HS Strut

Tough hunting in Indiana for us upland guys.
I bought an illinois license for a draw hunt(unsuccessful) but haven't ventured across the state line

Brimar1991

back in the '90's and early 2000's, I hunted just outside Kentland along one of the drainage ditches a friend of mine owned. We use to be able to get our limited along that mile long ditch. Unfortunately, the farms around that area cleaned up the farmland, took out fence rows, and planted crows up to the edge of the ditch. No more buffer strips. Now, you have to walk a mile to see the first bird. Now, I drive to either NW Iowa or SD for wild pheasants.

On the places in Indiana that have cover, there are birds. Just not that many. Illinois seems to have better cover or at least I have more access to cover over there. My friend said on opening day in Illinois they had a 50 bird flush at one of the spots we normally hunt. Haven't seen that in probably 10-15 years.

I have been able to bag a couple roosters in Indiana each year since I moved further north. This year I was fortunate to get an invite to check out some private land and had a hunt reminiscent of mixed bag hunts we experience in Kansas. I often do not pull the trigger on quail, but did shoot my 4 bird limit on this day and a rooster. There was something about this property that we moved half a dozen pheasants and 3(maybe 4 due to size of one group of 20 plus birds) coveys. My dogs were able to point every covey and a couple of pheasants, others flushed wild. Every covey was very healthy. What was evident in the area is that a lot private land owners seemed to be investing into habitat as there was a lot of strip cover and field corners left that seemed to greatly benefit the upland population. Even saw quail along the road while driving around. It did not feel like I was in Indiana. Birds are out there, just very isolated due a lack of larger expanses of habitat.

nkhrfh

I was drawn for one of the game bird areas. Birds were there just flushing wild. Obviously had been hunted.