2017 Hatch Info

chriswhite22

I talked a guy today that has 1200 acres (that I've never hunted :mad: ) just south of Paris, Missouri. He was telling me he hasn't seen this many quail in all the years he's owned it. Only thing he noted different is predator control they implemented over that last 4 years, but nothing to the landscape itself. He said he was shocked by the numbers he witnessed while cutting (partial flyers). How are you guys seeing it? I'd love to hear about the pheasant too. I plan on checking on pheasant myself in a couple weeks and will let you know what we come up with. Interested to hear from everyone. Not too far off, yet too far off.

Hearing quail. I think one was in the tree next to my house. Neighbor just cut hay.:(

Guys are reporting widespread quail whistling. Brother seeing pheasants near our hunting spot.

No chicks spotted yet.

Weather is fantastic.

This is very anecdotal, but I have heard/seen a significantly more quail this year. I am not hearing 5% of the pheasants this year compared to last year, though.

in cutting my wheat and etc have seen several pairs of quail and a couple of bunches of little birds just big enough to fly and get out of the way of machinery also hearing lots of bobwhiting . Seen lots of coyotes and deer too and worlds of rabbits and a few hawks which isn't good and an occasional eagle. Hopefully with crops which now have lots of size birds will have places to hide.

Same here, and our family farm is in NW Missouri. I grew up in the 70's (60 yrs old), so hunting all day and not seeing a bird doesn't work for me. It seems we see a few more every year lately, so I bought a pup, first one I've had in 25 years. There is absolutely no quail hunting pressure, either, none.

This year could actually be fun!

When we cut fescue I saw several broods of chicks. My yard covey is back. Baling hay last week saw some older chicks.

I don't know how bad the storms will hurt. The timing probably wasn't good at all. I would guess that in our area, the birds were either not hatched or very small, which isn't good. At my house, about 5 inches followed by three more the next day. A few miles north it was 8-9 followed by three more. Still took a ride yesterday, and saw three pairs in just a few miles along the roads.

Back in the old days, when we had bad weather, there would be birds hatching in August.

Back