2017 conditions

1pheas4

Well, it looks like Illinois came out of this winter with ease. Early on (this past winter), predation was higher than normal (this part of the state) due to a hard snow pack issue. The hard/crusted snow really made it difficult for birds to seek safety in the cover once a hawk was on their tail. It melted mid-winter. At that point conditions were much better for the birds up this way.

The roosters are starting to cackle behind my dads place.:thumbsup: He said they're moving around a lot--as they cackle. A good sign they are staking out their breeding territory.

A lot of rain yesterday has lower areas very wet but we still have some time before hens start to nest.

How are conditions elsewhere through the state? Any cackling or fighting roosters in sight yet?

The following is the averages for pheasant nesting in Midwest.

May 10 first nests
May 24 incubation of first nests
June 10-18 peak nest hatching

I saw a large/bright ball in the sky this morning:confused:. I found some photos of it online. Turns out it's called the "Sun".

The forecast is looking good for this coming week--at least up here in the northern part of the state. Little to no chance of rain. Low areas are very wet right now. Too wet. God willing they will dry up soon so the hens can utilize some of these areas for nesting.

How's central Illinois looking after all this rain the state had?

Okay good! I started to get worried that everyone left the state. Lol

It's been a long time since I've been on Ontario. Best of luck up there.

Anyone know how the birds are fairing? Spring was really wet, and these past few weeks have been hot and humid.

I haven't had a chance to check on the pheasants around my area yet. Here we are in June already:eek: But yes, it was wet for some time there. Too wet.

My dad has wild pheasants behind his house. He's heard a few roosters cackling and seen two roosters working their stuff but that's about it. No signs or reports of chicks yet but it's still early.

There's a land owner from the area who has some food plot seed at my shop. Once he comes by to pick it up I'll post what he tells me as soon as I get some info from him. A lot of his habitat is on lower ground so I'm guessing he's going to tell me the nests most likely got flooded out. We'll see.

What part of the state are you in George?

Located in DuPage county. I've been doing my hunting in Livingston county at a hunting club. I'll probably be taking the dog out to Des Plaines Wildlife area within the next few weeks for some short sessions in the field. Will post if I see anything.

Geez. We keep getting rain:eek:. I guess that short lived dry spell is over with.

Anyway, I had family in DuPage (up until a couple years ago)---in Itasca. They're here in McHenry County now. Not sure if your familiar with that area or not.

Have you hunting wild birds in Livingston at all or just the club only?

I have a few work colleagues that live in Mchenry. I'd say the last time I hunted wild birds in Livingston county was 10 years ago. Unfortunately the farmer passed away, and I no longer have any connections to access land with wild birds. Guess that just means I need to pony up this year and try to make a trip out to west for the first time and get on some wild birds. This will be my dogs first season so I am pretty excited.

Thats what I did about 10 years ago and havent missed a year since. Went to SD up until 3 years ago and now I head to MT. You wont regret it

I'd love to hit Montana for birds some day.;)

Rain; I'm counting our blessings. It seems southern and central Wisconsin gets rain just about every day or so:eek: Usually red on the radar too.

Anyone from Central Illinois with updates on conditions?

Im shooting for the week of nov 13th. Have your gear and dog at the end of the driveway and Ill swing by! Dont make me wait though :D
Edit: if youre not going just leave Winston at the end of the driveway. Ill take him with me !!!

Last edited:
Sorry I haven't gotten back on how Central IL has been this spring, darn work keeps getting in the way.

The long and short of it is a very wet April to May then it's been spotty since. Dad in Logan cty has only gotten 0.2 inches since mid may. I'm a little north of him and have had almost 5 inches in the last two weeks.

So the birds should have nested well, and have heard some roosters cackle but really haven't seen any. Dads been busy in the service truck with all this heat we've had but said he really hasn't seen any roosters or chicks for that matter.

I helped do some spraying and invasive removal on public ground and the quail were whistling like crazy at me. Saw about 10 bobwhites that day.

Hoping for a good hatch, where there is good habitat we have seen broods with up to 16 chicks before. Just really need to cut down the recreational mowing which he been better this year due to all the rain and the late planting.

On a side note, did you see IDOT changed their mowing policy? All state roadways will only be mowed 15 ft from the road and in the line of visions. So finally a win there.

Hoping for a good hatch so we will keep you posted.

Im shooting for the week of nov 13th. Have your gear and dog at the end of the driveway and Ill swing by! Dont make me wait though :D
Edit: if youre not going just leave Winston at the end of the driveway. Ill take him with me !!!

Ha! Yeah you can take him:D. My wife will won't miss him a bit. Just bring him back in one piece so I can chase a few birds too.

100%IL---I have noticed a decline in mowing around state highways/roads. I really hope this eventually catches on with county and local road ways too. At least in the rural areas.

Thanks for the update. Please let us know if you see any broods.

I travel in WI a ton almost every week. Ive noticed the lack of mowing too. I assumed it was just from budget cuts.

I ran up there the other day. I agree. The habitat looks pretty good. It looks good here too. Just too much rain. This seems to be the case since 2006 or so with the exception of 2011 (summer drought).

How's your springer doing Mike? Is she calming down a bit? lol

Haha no not really. Shes still like a bottle rocket that went off in the house and never fizzles out! Shes controlable though.
You must have some daughters that want to run with her until they collapse??:D please??:D

Back