2016 drought monitor

BleuBijou

April brings nest initiation.
Drought%20monitor%20MArch%2029_zpszmv8gjfy.jpg

Indeed!!! Birds still do well with abnormally dry...But the moisture at the right times is surely what we bird hunters would love to see..A great Wheat harvest will pay off big this year with no Hail!! :thumbsup:

Things will be much different next week with the weather and moisture moving into the plains.
April%2012th_zpsoqhbsn21.jpg

Just the begining!! Hail sucks though..Reports of 2-3inch hail.

WUNIDS_map%20April%2015th_zpsy13au2zm.gif

Moisture that has fallen so far as of 2p.m. today!

2pm%20april%2016th_zpscjlyvmgy.gif

are you on 9 news weather or something?

Just a hobby and weather correalates to birds as well as wheat harvest, so I pay attention to when and where it rains for the best possible bird numbers. Cuts down scouting on the ground in half!:thumbsup:

Just a hobby and weather correalates to birds as well as wheat harvest, so I pay attention to when and where it rains for the best possible bird numbers. Cuts down scouting on the ground in half!:thumbsup:

Disagree, cuts down scouting by 62,5% statistically:)

A year a part! This year and last year around the same date.

April%2019th_zpstrl2zgpa.jpg

April%2021st_zps9granzyv.jpg

Thanks for the info, BleuBijou. For some reason it had never occurred to me to follow the spring/summer rainfall. I'm curious as to what specific details you look for - do you just note where in rains the most/most consistently, where it hails, etc? I took a quick look at the 2015 precipitation history for the 4 areas I hunt most often and the places I found the most birds didn't seem to directly correlate to where it rained the most.

Then again, that probably just means I need to get better at finding birds :D

Thanks for the info, BleuBijou. For some reason it had never occurred to me to follow the spring/summer rainfall. I'm curious as to what specific details you look for - do you just note where in rains the most/most consistently, where it hails, etc? I took a quick look at the 2015 precipitation history for the 4 areas I hunt most often and the places I found the most birds didn't seem to directly correlate to where it rained the most.

Then again, that probably just means I need to get better at finding birds :D

Timing of the Rainfall is important..Also you need a good idea of bird stock for breeding..This can be had all over by bird reports from the following seasons..If you get a bunch of rain first couple weeks of June it is no Bueno' as this is the peak of the hatch... When I look at the drought monitor, I look at the areas that have not had severe Drought for long periods or during the nesting season..Moderate to dry is not a deal breaker..So watch your areas and when the rains come and then double check how many Bushels of wheat were produced in your area( Dry Land)..This has been very good to me..Gives me a good idea of how everything kinda went.. I prefer 45 bushel an acre or higher. Hail reports are helpful and they are easy to track and can be spotty.. Also a good idea is to poke around a bit during dove season..I have seen a bunch of tracks in the sand while dove hunting..I went back during pheasant season and I should of been done in the first field on Public property..But the reason I was out that way was because of the info I gathered all Spring without being actually on site!!:cheers:

Back