2014 pheasant brood numbers up 30%

It's a good start to get back to 2008 numbers or better.

I just wish I wasn't seeing so many turning to road kill.

One stretch of road I travel daily had 4 fresh ones smashed down :(

Seeing dead birds on the road is a good sign. I know it sucks, and I know what you mean, but the more dead you see the more birds there are.

They day we see no more birds dead on the road, is a bad day.

But I know what you mean, there is nothing worse the driving down the road and seeing 2 or 3 dead birds or even worse hitting one yourself.

I am very poor at math...however I am wondering how the whole state average can be up 30% when each of the four sections of the state noted in the report have increases listed that are lower than 30%. :confused:

I am very poor at math...however I am wondering how the whole state average can be up 30% when each of the four sections of the state noted in the report have increases listed that are lower than 30%. :confused:

The northeast district, generally containing secondary pheasant habitat, with much of it lacking good winter cover, showed two broods and 16 birds per 100 miles. Average brood size was 4.2. Number of birds observed was up 126 percent, and the number of broods recorded was up 166 percent

I think this is what caused the numbers to move up to 30%.

The northeast district, generally containing secondary pheasant habitat, with much of it lacking good winter cover, showed two broods and 16 birds per 100 miles. Average brood size was 4.2. Number of birds observed was up 126 percent, and the number of broods recorded was up 166 percent

I think this is what caused the numbers to move up to 30%.

Thanks for pointing that out. I guess i glossed over the NE section when reading. They are pretty optimistic to say 30% increase, if its the NE part of the state carrying the weight of the increase.

I agree. A 20% increase in the main pheasant range is probably more accurate. the data is a little skewed with the NE being that much of an outlier.

Anyway if you had luck in 2013, you should fine more success this year. :cheers:

I guess on the bright side it's not a decrease.:)

Safe hunting to anyone heading out there this fall/winter:cheers:

Back