2011 opener

kenobi_fan

Well it was a little warm and windy around here. Did alright. Saw four shootable roosters and 6-7 hens. Hit three of the rooster, but only found one. Dog didn't see them get hit, and we just could not find them. Frustrating, but still a good opener.

Opener

Hunted private ground in east central IL...it was 30 degrees with frost at daybreak but warmed up to 50 plus. Our group saw around 20 birds, lots of hens. Dogs worked pretty well, my Britt had a couple really nice points. Shot my 2 bird limit and made it home for my little guy's soccer game. Great day in the field with good friends and good dog work.

It was definitely a bit on the warm side opening day. I hit a spot that afternoon. The field was very wet. No pheasants. Dropped a goose though.

Still a lot of corn up and of course very wet fields din't help either. Unfortunately there's more rain on the way for Tuesday.

I think pheasant hunting will improve in Dec. when the water freezes up around here and birds move into some of these flooded fields. --I hope!

Good luck fellas.

Hunted in Iroquois County (Milford, IL). Killed 2 birds in a couple of hours. There are good bird populations in specific places, but those places are few and far between. Gonna be a challenging year.

I hunt around Milford too but didn't make it for the opener.

Will be heading out there this Sat and will probably be hanign out at the Hangout drinking a few cocktail Fri night or the place out west of town we call the shed..

Hunted right by the state line last Suday by myself and put up 20 birds and only felt like shooting one. Could easily have gotten another but was really more interested in working the dogs. Damn was it windy!

Back