2009-2010 Season

prairiepork

Hi all-

How did everyone do last season? Must say it was a huge disappointment in E. Nebraska. In November I saw the most birds I have ever seen, shaping up to be an incredible year, then in early DEC. those snows started and it turned to you know what. Did fairly well though, even for only hunting a handful of times the last 2 months. Managed to go out to kearney area and mccook area real late in Jan and get some birds, but there was no snow. I fear the snow and cold in eastern NE is going to decimate the quail pops, what a bummer. I hunt with a red setter and she was really coming into her own on quail. Let's hear how other people did and what breed of dog you run. I actually met a guy with an spinone italiano this year.

one bright spot was the grouse hunting. best year I have ever had.

I posted this in the main forum 6 weeks ago but though maybe you would like to see it.

Where did you find the gouse?

"Yesterday was the last day of the 2009-2010 Nebraska pheasant hunting season. We hunted yesterday and had a great hunt in beautiful weather. Today I finished my hunting log and compiled all of the data that I saved and logged for the year.
I hunted a total of 40 days in three states for a total of 179 hours. (The weather here and in Iowa was really bad at the end of December and the first of January and it kept me out of the field quite a few days)
I drove ~5500 miles and spent $440 in license fees and I don't have a clue on how much I spent for food, lodging and beer/scotch for after the hunt. I wore out one pair of boots and a pair of hunting pants and put some serious wear on myself and the dogs.
My dogs had 276 points, mostly on hens but a few on roosters. The oldest shorthair (4) is really coming along and the youngest (3) isn't far behind. The Welshie has started to be a good retriever and I can't wait to get her out on chukars later in the spring at the preserve.
I didn't keep track of my misses but I know I had a bunch. All but three of the pheasants and all of the quail were killed with my Merkel 1620 16ga and the other three roosters were shot with a Laurona 12ga SXS.
I personally shot 30 roosters and 12 quail and 55 roosters and 24 quail were the totals for everyone that I hunted with.
I don't even want to know what each bird cost but again that's not why I hunt. I could probably go the whole season just watching the girls point and having the Welshie retrieve!
Did anyone else keep a log? "

Back