2007 Polaris Sportsman 800V-Twin EFI on-demand 4wd

wolfcreeknc

Hello all,
I don't know much about ATV's so I thought I would reach out to this group; I suspect there is a wealth of knowledge on this board.
I ran into one for sale and wondered if anyone knows anything about a 2007 Polaris Sportsman 800V-Twin EFI on-demand 4wd.
It has 820 miles and 187 hours, one adult owner.
Are they good reliable machines etc?
Thanks in advance for any of your input.
Cheers,
Wolf

My personal experience was awful with this model. Had severe engine issues twice. I finally just sold it. Had an 04 sportsman 400 that ran perfect wish I never would sold my 400.

I don't have much experience with Polaris, but I would definitely look at Hondas. I'd buy a Honda over Polaris any day. I have a 2001 Rancher, a 1985 Honda 125 3 wheeler and a 1984 Honda 200 4 wheeler. All are awesome machines.

I'm a Honda "Homer" for sure.

Grandpa bought a 1983 200E Big Red with hi/low on -- I would have been 3 at the time - anyways my first experience with riding and I eventually was given this - worked great for years and my dumb butt gave it away in trade when I had no more room in my garage back in 2016 - little did I know a year later I'd have a house with acreage.

Anyways 2017 I bought a 2017 Honda 250 recon --

The darn things just work- their resale is usually pretty good - Look on the buy/sell groups on FB -- Craigslist you can sometimes find them - cycletrader -- Find one a hunter had as a toy or some suburbanite bought and never used - I'd take a 20 yr old Honda ATV before any of the other brands -- To me you can get a good idea of how much use an ATV has had by looking at the grips (if they're original), plastics and other general wear areas if the unit is not equipped with an hour meter or odometer -- I'd also never buy one that someone let sit outside all the time - some people do that.

I'm not an automatic fan - but to each their own - I'd rather have the semi auto foot shift

If it's just you riding on it and you dont need to pull any trailers or implements -- look into getting a 250 or 300 or no bigger than 400 size - those units are still light enough you can manhandle them and move them around if you get in a bad spot, tip over etc -- An 800 or these gargantuan ATV's people get - no way in hell I'd want one - if I tip over or get in a bad spot I dont want 800-900 lbs laying on me - 200-300 is much better and something I can get out from under or lift up if stuck etc. 2wd ATV will pretty much go anywhere if you know how to ride and have good tires.

I dont know what your budget is - but a Recon is a basic ATV that serves a transportation purpose - I personally would not buy an electric shift model in those or a rancher etc -- when I was researching those it seems sometimes there was an issue with the shift mechanism - and also if I'm in the middle of nowhere I want to be able to shift manually and not be stuck.

Polaris automatics are also Loud AF -- same as their UTV's.

***Quirks with Honda's are they can be cold blooded - but once they warm up run like a champ -- my 2017 Recon is like that - same as the Big Red. Hell if you make a good buy on a Big Red those things are collector items -- I had no idea until I wanted to buy another one to replace what I traded away. They likely wont lose value at all. Just gain.

Last edited:
Honda family here, 2007 rancher that's been thru the mill with 2 boys, no problems and still runs strong. Just bought a 2015 Honda Pioneer 500. My 2 dogs even love the Pioneer!20211011_140145.jpg20211011_140345.jpg

Id also never buy one that someone let sit outside all the time - some people do that.
I picked up a 1985 125 Honda 3 wheeler from a farm auction for 200 bucks a few years ago. It sat outside for a LONG time. I put a new carb in it, fresh gas and oil and the sucker fired right up. Hondas are just crazy reliable.
I personally would not buy an electric shift model in those or a rancher etc -- when I was researching those it seems sometimes there was an issue with the shift mechanism - and also if I'm in the middle of nowhere I want to be able to shift manually and not be stuck.
Not sure about newer units, but my 2001 Rancher with the electronic shift has the ability to manual shift if needed. It's a wrench looking too in the toolbox that goes into the side of the transmission so you can manually change gears. It's not for riding that way, but it's enough to get you home if you're having problems. I've never had an issue with the electric shift on mine.
***Quirks with Honda's are they can be cold blooded - but once they warm up run like a champ -- my 2017 Recon is like that - same as the Big Red.
Funny you say that. Maybe it's a newer model thing. My 2001 Rancher seems cold blooded too, but the 1984 200 TRX I have I never need to choke.

With all the great input from this site and a few others and friends I opted for a 2018 Honda Rancher 4X4 TRX 420 FM1. I am very pleased with it and hope to have many years of good use. Of course my boys dig it too!!

With all the great input from this site and a few others and friends I opted for a 2018 Honda Rancher 4X4 TRX 420 FM1. I am very pleased with it and hope to have many years of good use. Of course my boys dig it too!!
Awesome!! Any pics of the new ride? (Do you mind saying how much you paid and where you found it?) Just trying to see how the ATV market is holding up -- I check occasionally - some of what I see is the prices on used stuff just depends on what part of the country you're in - Oklahoma around the sand dunes/OKC/Tulsa you can get better prices on used than KS it seems --

I think I got mine in 2018 for $3200 or $2800 - I can't remember - form a suburbanite on acreage near KC. It wasn't used much I believe.

Back