2 bucks lost and 2 bucks found

UGUIDE

The short version of the story is that I shot 2 decent bucks during the 2008 hunting season in Wisconsin, one during bow and one during gun. Neither could be recovered either due to loss of blood trail or no blood at all. The bow shot had a limited blood trail but the gun deer just vanished after the first shot and I could not even tell which direction it went hence the suspicion that it was spineâ??d and dropped dead (which was not the case). I knew when I saw this deer coming it was outside the ears and tall and probably one I would want to put on the wall. After finding no sign of blood I gave up the search and considered it a miss.

The second weekend of gun season the neighbor shot a nice 10 point and I was sure it was the same deer that I had â??missedâ?� since I didnâ??t think there could be too many deer around that size.

The happy ending to the story is that the bow kill deer was found thanks to a buddy of mine finding a small piece of deer tail on the trail we were walking on while turkey hunting this spring. I began to think that this would have been close to area that deer would have come through based on direction heading when we lost blood trail. Sure enough AI look up the hill about 40 yards off trail and all you could see is rack and skeleton. This turn out to be a 10 point and is the one on the plaque in pictures.

This last week I was up moving a deer stand into new location in the general area that the gun deer was shot at. I had finished securing the stand and decided I had better brush a trail out to where I would walk into this stand from. I was on a pretty good deer trail and had little to cut and was about 50 yards from where the stand was when again, all I saw was rack and skeleton. Here laid the buck I shot at within 100 yards from where the hit would have been and in a line in which this deer was traveling towards when shot. I had assumed the deer had doubled back from the direction it came but that was not the case.

After showing the rack to a neighbor he was able to come up with a trail cam pic of this deer in the velvet. The deer has green scored 153. My biggest deer ever and this one â??isâ?� going on the wall.

Here are the pics

DCP_1520.jpg

DCP_1521.jpg

CDY_00122.jpg

Last edited:
Ending to the story

A wrap up for anybody that cares. The big buck got officially scored by B/C scorer and came in at 154 3/8. Here's the kicker. it qualifies as a WI record but only as a "Found" deer ( like a shed, etc) because I was not able to retrieve it and register it in a timely manner.

It will go in the WI record books and it is at the taxidermist getting a full shoulder mount and should be on the wall by this fall.

Overall a happy ending.

Worthy goals still lie ahead. A B/C bow kill and B/C gun kill, retrieved.

Back