1st South Dakota Hunt

Crusaderhunter

My son and I hunted in Parkston, SD area the past two days. Two days of limits and time to explore SD. We have plans to make this to be a yearly event. Thanks Mike & Drew Muntefering for a great hunt.

Great! I had some good hunting in SD this season too, my first on private land. How about some photos?

Congrats on a good time. There is something special about hunting pheasants in SD in the cold. I go early season also, and it has its advantages, but I prefer the winter. I was counting up the trips I have made there over the last 20 or so years. Been some interesting times with a couple horrible blizzards, falling through the ice a couple times. Lost dogs, injuries to man and beast, and a whole lot of pheasants. It truly is a special place.

It was outstanding hunting, I could not belive the number of birds on both private and public land. I have hunted for two months in Kansas most weekends and have got 40 pheasants total. We got more than that in two days of hunting in two days in SD with 9 men. I just wish we could have stayed out longer and got more birds but the group just shot to well and the hunt ended to fast.

I can not get my pictures to post on here, so if you want to see the results of our hunt go to my Facebook page "Mike Wilmoth from Wellington KS".

It was outstanding hunting, I could not belive the number of birds on both private and public land. I have hunted for two months in Kansas most weekends and have got 40 pheasants total. We got more than that in two days of hunting in two days in SD with 9 men. I just wish we could have stayed out longer and got more birds but the group just shot to well and the hunt ended to fast.

I can not get my pictures to post on here, so if you want to see the results of our hunt go to my Facebook page "Mike Wilmoth from Wellington KS".

Just wait till you go when the birds are not down:) I got an e-mail from the farmer where I hunt, he said there were 330 roosters harvested at his place this year. Last year and years prior it was always closer to 600. We still saw quite a few birds in december, but definately could see the difference from last year. Glad you had a good hunt.

"The group shot too well"
Now that's a great problem to have. Congrats on a great trip! Memories forever and more to come!

One of the guys from Texas said that each time a bird was headed his way and thought he was going to get a backup shot it did not happen because the shooting was to good down the line. I made him repeat what he said in front of my son so he could confirm that I was called a good shot to my hunting buddies in Kansas. I think that birds flushing evey few 100 yards instead of every "few miles" helps keep you on your toes. I missed the last 3 pheasants I shot at in Kansas.

Back