1st. ever pheasant hunt

sealer

My youngest and I are traveling to Washington County Kansas (just outside of Palmer) for our first pheasant hunt. I'm just wondering what to expect. Our hunt will be guided, I'm also wondering what we can do to increase the odds?
Also, I know we may get into some quail, but I'm really hoping for some prairie chickens as well. Any tips or pointers is appreciated.
TIA, Dennis

On the pheasant just look at the head and shoot for the head or you'll get caught up with how big they look with that long tail and shoot behind them and when a covey of quail flush try to just pick out one bird and shoot at it , if it falls pick out another if you have time and just shoot at that one. Haved fun

Look forward to hearing about your hunt !!!
I would further west in the Smokey Hills you would see more chickens.
Best of luck and let us know how you do !!!

Good luck Dennis, be careful, this type of activity can be very addictive! Let us know how the experience goes for you and your kid. Try to remember to take a few pics, this site is easy to post them on. pbg had good shooting advice, get in front of them, more so on those longer crossing opportunties.

Many of us on the forum wish we could do our first pheasant hunt all over!

Thanks when walking watch the dogs work, their animations and tail will tell you when to get ready. Focus your eyes on the big white neck ring, bring your gun to your face ,watching the ring , swing thru, fire!
If they are flushing dogs your pace walking should mimic the dogs pace!
Pointing dogs not so necessary.
Post pictures! And don’t worry if you miss, this is a journey!

Back