15 week old lab problems

I just wanted to say something to everyone. I kinda quit posting on another website due to the immature people, the fighting and really the lack of guys who want to help. The responses I have received on this thread are outstanding and very much appreciated. Thank you

Good to know were at least somewhat civilized here. :p One of the good features of this forum is our moderators who are gentle policemen who remind people about their tone and content on the rare occasions when necessary.

I just learned yesterday that my lab will grab a bumper and bring it to my wife to play?!! My wife made a comment that she would retrieve all day long. Its good but wth? I get about 5 retrieves out of her and she looses interest. I just threw it once this morning and she ran half ways and turned around. And its not like I am overdoing it. I was gone for 4 days on some wildfires and my wife does absolutely nothing with her. I am lucky if she feeds her most days when I am gone.

I just learned yesterday that my lab will grab a bumper and bring it to my wife to play?!! My wife made a comment that she would retrieve all day long. Its good but wth? I get about 5 retrieves out of her and she looses interest. I just threw it once this morning and she ran half ways and turned around. And its not like I am overdoing it. I was gone for 4 days on some wildfires and my wife does absolutely nothing with her. I am lucky if she feeds her most days when I am gone.

That pup is feeding off of your body language. Not to be rude but maybe the problem isn't with the dog? The dog seems to trust your wife but maybe confused by what you expect out of it. If you study Evan Graham, he has a big emphasis on reading the dog. You have to find what buttons to push. You mention 5 retrieves. Personally I never give a young dog anymore than 3and only about every other day at that. And birds only once a week. Always put them away wanting more. Sounds like you need to let this pup be what it is, a pup.

Five is too much. I spend a long time showing my dog how happy I am when she brings it back. One of my dogs was very submissive. She would want a belly rub after every retrieve. Sometimes she would rollover with the quail still in her mouth.

I did two retrieves with her tonight and left her wanting more. My last lab was insane and maybe I am expecting too much right now. My last lab new hand signals at 19 weeks. I new it was my fault the second my wife said she was bringing bumpers to her. Just have to change it up, maybe do less?

I did two retrieves with her tonight and left her wanting more. My last lab was insane and maybe I am expecting too much right now. My last lab new hand signals at 19 weeks. I new it was my fault the second my wife said she was bringing bumpers to her. Just have to change it up, maybe do less?

Comparing one dog to another is like comparing to of your kids. They are all different individuals and respond to different methods of learning.

Curious as to what you mean by hand signals at 19 weeks? I am going to suggest you seriously look into one of the training programs by Hillman, Fowl Dogs, Lardy, etc.

Last edited:
I have a field bred cocker now 8 and a good phezz hunter and retriever. This was my first dog to train and at around 5 months he wouldn't retrieve or show interest in it. I did notice however that he always wanted to go to the kids' rooms and steal stuff---anything but usually laundry, shoes, etc. Let's just say it was target rich for him. Anyway, instead of correcting him, as my wife was miffed by his thievery (he particularly liked stealing her bras), it dawned on me to wait in the hallway so that after he 'stole' something I would be waiting and he'd have to come past me with his booty. I would pet him, reward him, etc. Then I worked in a command and then started sending him back. It took almost no time before he was in the back yard retrieving bumpers. He then came into his own with birds and is a remarkable upland retriever. So if your pup is carrying things around, that's a good sign and so work off that. Hope this helps.

Well after a week of just doing two throws and just really working on obedience training she is really starting to get after the bumpers. It only took a week. I ended the trainings on a good note and teased her with the bumper enough that she wanted it bad and ended the training. Thanks guys! I took your advice and she seams to be showing more interest. Westksbowhunter, what do you suggest as far as training goes? I have the Top Dog and Game Dog DVD's but they seam old.

Back