'15-'16 Season Ending Statistics

nstric

Another exceptional season . . . they all are, in fact. We're trending in the right direction relative to bird population, and birds bagged. My family and I have eaten a lot of pheasant this season!

I recorded more sightings of birds this season than I recall in many, many years. As a number of us have already commented, a moderate remaining winter and favorable spring should net some very exciting opportunities for next season.

114 roosters bagged on 26 trips, averaging more than 4 birds per trip, yet another improvement over last year. My buddy and I shot our two man limit of 6 birds on 11 of the 26 trips, or nearly 43% of the time! We came home with 5 in the bag twice (losing our sixth during one such outing), and 4 in the bag once. We never got skunked throughout the entire season; I believe a first for us!

I hunted solo (taking some combination of my kids and/or my mom) four times, and shot my limit of 3 each time. I like that success percentage! And a first for me, in that I shot a triple on Christmas Eve.

We shot 3 quail, and picked up one roadkill (ha!) Hun. Our longest tail feather was 26 inches; a beauty of a bird!

3,686.5 total miles traveled. $542 total fuel costs, at an average of $1.97 per gallon. $2.23 was the high per gallon at the start of the season, and we closed season on 1/10/16 paying only $1.75 per gallon.

Roosters Shot Comparison
15/16 Season: 114
14/15 Season: 103
13/14 Season: 58
12/13 Season: 56
11/12 Season: 59
10/11 Season: 89
09/10 Season: 75
08/09 Season: 122
07/08 Season: 120
06/07 Season: 137
05/06 Season: 77

Nate,
It looks like you had a great season! After reading your end of year stats last year I decided to keep a journal of this season. It is interesting to look back and remember the hunts. You definitely cover some ground. That is my goal for next year, to do a little more traveling. If nothing else just to see some new country.
Thanks for sharing.

Very nice glad to see the Iowa numbers raising, did you hunt one particular region or all over the state, was one region better than another or consistent numbers statewide?

A good move, I think you'll find in time! I sure enjoy looking back through my journal, reminiscing.

Nate,
It looks like you had a great season! After reading your end of year stats last year I decided to keep a journal of this season. It is interesting to look back and remember the hunts. You definitely cover some ground. That is my goal for next year, to do a little more traveling. If nothing else just to see some new country.
Thanks for sharing.

I only hunted west of I-35, and usually north of I-80 . . . only sometimes hunting south. I'd offer that the numbers seen were most reflective of the cover had, as opposed to geographic location. Good winter cover in particular far more often than not netted great numbers.
Very nice glad to see the Iowa numbers raising, did you hunt one particular region or all over the state, was one region better than another or consistent numbers statewide?

I only hunted west of I-35, and usually north of I-80 . . . only sometimes hunting south. I'd offer that the numbers seen were most reflective of the cover had, as opposed to geographic location. Good winter cover in particular far more often than not netted great numbers.

Thanks, Nate. I used to hunt in the Anita area but numbers had dropped considerably and was just curious about your area of hunting. I appreciate your saeson results, I keep a journal of my hunting, mainly the pursuit of grouse and woodcock. Fun to look back at my trips to Iowa of years past, but I only hunted Iowa once maybe twice a year. Again, thanks for sharing.

Very nice Nate. It looks like you had another great season. Give Gunner a good belly rub, it looks like it is well deserved!

Hi Nate....

I am new to this board....never hunted Iowa but have heard that Grinnell had some good hunting this past season. Did you ever hunt that area? I am from Ohio on the P.A. line below 80. It would be a full days drive to that part of Iowa for me. We go to Kansas at the end of November and its a 1 1/2 day drive. I am looking for a place a little closer to go later in the season and Iowa may be a good place look. Any info would be helpful. I hunt a Gordon setter female, she turned 5 in February. I shoot a SXS 16 x-full and light mod...(-: SXS Ohio.............only 7 months till Kansas............

Hey -

I do not hunt that part of the state, the Grinnell area. It's north and east of me, and I usually head northwest. That's not to suggest you won't find birds there, numbers are definitely up. A favorable spring will net an increase in numbers throughout the state. Good luck!

Back