11-6-2013 Hunt

nstric

Another good day today.

I just couldn't give up on the Pomeroy area and convinced my buddy to head back up there with me. We had two fields to hit, one I've not hunted since 2008, and another typically full of birds, but wasn't on Opening Weekend.

The two fields collectively netted 7 roosters and 30+ hens. We had shots on four of the seven roosters and dropped all four. One big group of 12 or so flushed at once, which was good to see.

With four in the bag, we decided to scout while journaling the morning's hunts. We happened across some very promising big block and buffer strip grass . . . so I shifted into knock-and-talk mode, eventually locating the owner and gaining permission.

We park, load up, and let the dogs out. Gunner immediately goes on point, not even having stepped into the grass. We knew it was about to get fun! My buddy follows Gunner, and I follow his dog, Deacon. About 10 seconds in, the birds erupt . . . 4 roosters and 6 or so hens by my count . . . and my buddy drops a double off of Gunner's nose. We were done that fast. Less than a minute in the field.

We returned to the truck, cased our guns, grabbed our camera phones and headed back in with plans to simply walk the edges and then head home. Gunner again immediately goes on point, again just outside of the grass, and low and behold a hen sat just that tight! Up off my boot she flew!

The remainder of the field netted another 2-3 roosters and a handful of hens, all or nearly all off of point. It was great to experience!

Hope you all are also finding them!

(All first year birds, by the way. Quite young.)

232323232%7Ffp%3B4%3B%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D366%3A633265338nu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp%3B68%3Enu%3D3242%3E%3B63%3E9%3B6%3EWSNRCG%3D366%3A633264338nu0mrj

Nice work!

I am heading for some public tomorrow. Couple hours north of me. Going solo, so not overly excited about the trip. But hope we see some birds. I have a pup that i am still in the "No shots unless pointed" mode. Which is hard on pressured areas. But it will happen. The other 2 we just go and hope for the best.

Keep the pics coming. Gunner is a sweet looking dog.

ya today was a perfect day to go i almost called in sick to work today, nice pics and i like that vizsla!

Nice work!

I am heading for some public tomorrow. Couple hours north of me. Going solo, so not overly excited about the trip. But hope we see some birds. I have a pup that i am still in the "No shots unless pointed" mode. Which is hard on pressured areas. But it will happen. The other 2 we just go and hope for the best.

Keep the pics coming. Gunner is a sweet looking dog.
Good luck!

ya today was a perfect day to go i almost called in sick to work today, nice pics and i like that vizsla!
A little more wind than I prefer, but the moisture in the AM was nice. Things quickly dried out though.

Nice Nate - Gunner is looking like he is in mid season form there!

I am heading up to south central tomorrow morning early, have chores to do on the land. I am hoping to get out for a bit on either Friday for a few hours or Saturday morning. It will likely be as much a scouting trip as anything as I have not had a chance to walk these areas yet this year. They all held birds last year and I am anxious to see what they look like. I generally dont hit it that hard till it gets a bit colder and there is some snow on the ground. So, this will be a scouting trip with a gun in hand.

Have you been down south at all yet this year? I saw your Red Rock post but anything else down that way? Any reports you have heard south of 80?

Congrats!

Congrats Nate!

Gunner is a fine looking dog. That point is solid and just beautiful. Glad to hear you had a great day in the field.:)

I am excited to see and hear that you got into those young fellas! So far we have encouraging reports that we are wreaking havoc on this years crop. The color looks good and full on those fellas so I assume they were an earlier hatch?

Keep up the great work!:10sign:

Ken

Thanks guys.

Red Rock is as far south as I've been, Kraig. I have heard from others however, that they're finding birds ... more than last year. Hopefully you'll experience the same.

I'd guess these birds to be a second attempt brood this year. Full color on all, but small, short tail feathers and spurs, weak beaks, etc.

Back