10 months to go

tuna

Well, with Thanksgiving come and gone, so has my pheasant season. Saturday was my last opportunity to hunt for birds. I've had a good season this year (by my standards anyway) having taken half of my seasonal limit.
The only thing left for me now is deer, which I'm heading out on Thursday to go after, then Monday - Wednesday of next week. Only a 2 week shotgun season here, then Muzzleloaders for the rest of the year.
Good luck to everyone still able to go for pheasants. I'll keep checking in, but won't be able to thrill you with any more of my great pheasant adventures.
Let's all make sure that this site keeps going, as for me it is only 10 1/2 months away until I can put shotshells in my vest and head back out. Even if we're not hunting, we can still share stories and information.

I had a good Thanksgiving week finding 9 birds in 4 short outings around the Sioux Falls area.

I was looking at my calender this morning. Nine, maybe ten, more days of pheasant hunting opportunities. I may breakdown and use some vacation time if the hunting gets better. Actually hoping for a weather change to push the birds into the heavier cover. Otherwise, it will be just weekends hoping to find a bird here or there.

Our pheasant season opened on the 14th of October (always a Saturday I've got to work - at least I can come in early and take a long, late lunch HA) and ended the 25th of November. The season is for both pheasant and ruffed grouse (pah-tridge, in the eastern part of the state), with a daily limit of 2 and a seasonal limit of 6. The regs are kind of screwey here though.
You can shoot hens, and both genders are stocked.
The "experts" say that the area won't support a breeding stock, and must rely on stocking because the winters are too cold. (yeah, I know you guys in the treeless midwest are basking in 70 degree weather all year long). But we don't stock grouse, and those have a good survival rate. This is what happens when you get experts who overlook common sense.

Back