“Do it all” Rod & Reel recommendations

isuhunter

Recently my boys are REALLY into fishing. (8 & 4 years old). Last summer I took them to the damn at State Park and they had a blast catching little dinks. Well now we have a few more places to fish and I’d like to get a nice rod and reel. What do you guys suggest? Mainly pan fish and small mouth bass and walleyes in the area we have been fishing.

I’m not a fisherman and didn’t grow up in a fishing family so maybe my request of a “do it all” setup is unrealistic.
I’ve had these two recommendations so far:

Fenwick HMG 6′ 6″ Medium Light & Pflueger President XT

St. Croix Ultra & Shimano Spinner

What style of fishing are you primarily doing? Seeing you mention walleye I'll answer based off an assumption of some jigging going on. My go to jigging rod is a Fenwick Elite Tech Walleye rod with a Shimano Sedona 2500 reel. I've never used the HMG but when I checked one out at the store it felt nice in my hand. I will say, the Elite Tech is a very fast action rod. Plenty of backbone for big fish, but it's designed mostly for finesse fishing, jigs and such. I wouldn't run a crankbait with it just because it isn't designed for that. But if you do alot of jigging, it's a great choice.

I have Shimano Sedonas on 3 of my rods and love them.

I don't have any experience with Pflueger reels or St Croix rods so can't help you there.

Back