Long Distance Traveling for Birds

Look at county fairgrounds. Many have electricity available and some offer showers , many showers will be shut by mid November I’d speculate. Rates are very reasonable or free

Ok I will start. For the last couple of years I have stayed at Airbnbs when traveling for Upland hunting. I gave up on hotels and motels due to people waking me up at 2 a.m. when they come stumbling In and banging doors. Or at 3:30 getting up to go set out decoys and banging doors.
Airbnb's have been ok, but they are a more expensive option. I have had a few problems with them also. I am thinking of getting a 16' Camper, easy to pull and have everything I need. When I am on the road, hunting, I want good sleep period. Your thoughts?
We find ourselves traveling and meeting up yearly in NODak these days. Coming from Washington state at one end and buddy from Tennessee meets us. a couple of us are retired, and a few guys we go with still earn a living so we have to keep our time at a minimum.
For this reason we typically hotel it but have found some of the folks in this area have rental opportunities. Staying in a home is preferable as we don’t have to deal with coming and going at all hours.
beautiful country, great birding, and best friends make the trip all the more enjoyable.

Well, a 16' camper sounds like a great idea for ensuring you get a good night's sleep while on the road.As for me, I've found that staying in rental homes or cabins offers the best of both worlds - peace and quiet without the hassle of noisy neighbors. Plus, having everything you need in one place can make for a more comfortable and enjoyable trip. Oh, and speaking of travel, I recently stumbled upon some tips on how to save money on business class flights. If you're interested in upgrading your travel experience without breaking the bank, you should get more info online.

Last edited:
I looked at buying smaller camper's/RV's and my primary issue is winter. I would need to purchase an insulated trailer that I can use in sub freezing temps. Iowa, MT and the Dakota's get cold and I can't see buying a camper unless it is set up for operating in really cold weather. That drives both the cost and the weight of the camper up significantly, which has been a deal killer for me.

Last edited:
We used an old airstream for a lot of years when I was in my 20s. We'd cram 3-4 guys, dogs, and gear in that sucker. It was fun but added a whole extra aspect to a trip between getting the camper road ready, setup when you get there, and having to organize gear constantly to fit. Not to mention the smell in that thing after a few days of tight conditions with dirty friends and dogs lol. Now days the thought of a hot shower and decent bed at the end of the day trumps saving a few bucks hauling the camper for me. Air bnbs were a hidden gem for a while but the added fees these days have pushed me back into motels unless we have more than a couple guys.

I looked at buying a smaller camper's/RV's and my primary issue is winter. I would need to purchase an insulated trailer that I can use in sub freezing temps. Iowa, MT and the Dakota's get cold and I can't see buying a camper unless it is set up for operating in really cold weather. That drives both the cost and the weight of the camper up significantly, which has been a deal killer for me.
Think about not using water in the trailer system. There are campgrounds open. Use their water for cooking etc. Or bottled water, etc. In some ways it is primitive camping, but you are very mobile if need be for birds. Also you can camp without a campground if u have a heat source such as gas, etc. When u need a hot shower, Typically you can buy one real cheap. My last trip it was 5.00 for a shower in MN.

Think about not using water in the trailer system. There are campgrounds open. Use their water for cooking etc. Or bottled water, etc. In some ways it is primitive camping, but you are very mobile if need be for birds. Also you can camp without a campground if u have a heat source such as gas, etc. When u need a hot shower, Typically you can buy one real cheap. My last trip it was 5.00 for a shower in MN.
I did this for years. You can get a truck stop shower every few days . Have a warm comfortable living space and at the worst have A poop bucket stored outside!

I looked at buying a smaller camper's/RV's and my primary issue is winter. I would need to purchase an insulated trailer that I can use in sub freezing temps. Iowa, MT and the Dakota's get cold and I can't see buying a camper unless it is set up for operating in really cold weather. That drives both the cost and the weight of the camper up significantly, which has been a deal killer for me.
It just makes you more mobile, and u don't have to worry about someone waking you up at all hours. I'm done with motels and hotels. I did Airbnbs for a while, now more expensive than hotels.

The other thing I've wondered about with a late season camper, is it rusting out due to salt on the roads. I've got a boat I use for winter fishing, and the road salt really takes a toll on things. Not always easy to wash it up in the winter either.

The other thing I've wondered about with a late season camper, is it rusting out due to salt on the roads. I've got a boat I use for winter fishing, and the road salt really takes a toll on things. Not always easy to wash it up in the winter either.
I painted my frame with POR before heading to salt country.

When it is consistently cold we drain the water. Just used truck stops for showers. We either use the camper toilet and dump some RV antifreeze in it or use a portapotty and dump it every couple days. Managed down to minus 25 that way okay, minus 40 and the wife threatened to leave.

When it is consistently cold we drain the water. Just used truck stops for showers. We either use the camper toilet and dump some RV antifreeze in it or use a portapotty and dump it every couple days. Managed down to minus 25 that way okay, minus 40 and the wife threatened to leave.
Sounds like you have it down, period.

I'm starting to wonder if I'm the a- hole up too early in these motels?? Because I'm a light sleeper and don't get bothered much than I can think of🤔😆
Maybe so, lol. My last Hotel visit, did it for me. I had a bunch of duck hunters in rooms next to me. There were a large group that drank and stayed up till 2 a.m. Then you had the group that got up at 3:30-4:00. Slamming doors etc. The guests right across the hall from me, kept slamming the door all the time. Day and night. Finally I had enough after one of them did it. I knocked on the door and asked them to please quit slamming their door. The older one said we aren't slamming any doors. I said right...They quit it.

Last edited:
Maybe so, lol. My last Hotel visit, did it for me. I had a bunch of duck hunters in rooms next to me. There were a large group that drank and stayed up till 2 a.m. Then you had the group that got up at 3:30-4:00. Slamming doors etc. The guests right across the hall from me, kept slamming the door all the time. Day and night. Finally I had enough after one of them did it. I knocked on the door and asked them to please quit slamming their door. The older one said we aren't slamming any doors. I said right...They quit it.
Yep!

Back