After season shell blowout

Good deals today, outrageous prices 4 years ago. Cant imagine where we will be in 4 more years.

Also, if you guys arent rogers customers.. their shells are always "on sale", just their super sales are an additional $1-2 off per box ($10-20 case). They boost the regular price then drop them down "on sale" whenever they get new stock in. Kinda shady but still usually better deals than anywhere else. Like that 3" super pheasant, they say $489 regular price but they are $34-35/box almost everywhere so i would expect case price to be slightly less.

They used to have some killer deals back before covid. Like golden pheasant for $120/case, nitro pheasant for $99, super pheasant for $110, super x for $69.99. Those days are long gone though.

It seems both 16 and 28 gauge have not been produced in large quantities for months. It looks flush now in my local retailers for 12 and 20 gauge. Perhaps by fall we’ll see 16 and 28 looking like pre Covid inventory. That said doubtful to see those prices again. My 16 gauge target loads sell for a buck a round at this time! OUCH

Good deals today, outrageous prices 4 years ago. Cant imagine where we will be in 4 more years.

Also, if you guys arent rogers customers.. their shells are always "on sale", just their super sales are an additional $1-2 off per box ($10-20 case). They boost the regular price then drop them down "on sale" whenever they get new stock in. Kinda shady but still usually better deals than anywhere else. Like that 3" super pheasant, they say $489 regular price but they are $34-35/box almost everywhere so i would expect case price to be slightly less.

They used to have some killer deals back before covid. Like golden pheasant for $120/case, nitro pheasant for $99, super pheasant for $110, super x for $69.99. Those days are long gone though.
A big reason I'm trying really hard to find the shell or reload that I truly like. So then I can ammo hoard for the simple fact that inflation is ridiculous and will probably not come down in the near future. Just need to be sure on things so I don't have 50 boxes of something and then later decide to change ammo.

It seems both 16 and 28 gauge have not been produced in large quantities for months. It looks flush now in my local retailers for 12 and 20 gauge. Perhaps by fall we’ll see 16 and 28 looking like pre Covid inventory. That said doubtful to see those prices again. My 16 gauge target loads sell for a buck a round at this time! OUCH

Shooting 16 and 28 is the best reason i can think of to buy a reloader and pick up a new hobby. You can reload 28ga 3/4oz for $6-7 a box. 16ga 1oz will be around 20/12ga prices, $9/box ish.

Shooting 16 and 28 is the best reason i can think of to buy a reloader and pick up a new hobby. You can reload 28ga 3/4oz for $6-7 a box. 16ga 1oz will be around 20/12ga prices, $9/box ish.
As someone who just got into reloading I need to point out that no one in the history of the hobby has ever saved money by switching to reloading. Best case they might shoot more for the same money (not a bad problem). But more likely you buy more than you need so you make more than you need and then shoot more to justify the reloading. Still not a bad problem, but it truly is a hobby instead of a money saver.

As someone who just got into reloading I need to point out that no one in the history of the hobby has ever saved money by switching to reloading. Best case they might shoot more for the same money (not a bad problem). But more likely you buy more than you need so you make more than you need and then shoot more to justify the reloading. Still not a bad problem, but it truly is a hobby instead of a money saver

I have a good buddy who shoots trap and skeet competitively. He paid off his 9000H in half a season of shells. He shoots about 20,000 rounds a year, shooting more days than not... So he saves about $4,000 by reloading his own.

Then i have another buddy who is on the other end, he only loads waterfowl hunting ammo for his 20ga with a lee load all. He paid off all his equipment the first month of the season last year, loading tss for cheap. He buys primers by the 100 at the local shop and 1lb of powder at a time.

At $9/box vs $25/box, he will pay for a $150 used MEC in 10 boxes of shells of 16ga. Little longer for 28. But this is just talking target loads, big savings come when you load that $30 box of hunting ammo for $10 yourself. Yeah there's investment costs regarding buying in bulk, but having a surplus of shells on hand is a very very good thing when talking 16/28.

I have a good buddy who shoots trap and skeet competitively. He paid off his 9000H in half a season of shells. He shoots about 20,000 rounds a year, shooting more days than not... So he saves about $4,000 by reloading his own.

Then i have another buddy who is on the other end, he only loads waterfowl hunting ammo for his 20ga with a lee load all. He paid off all his equipment the first month of the season last year, loading tss for cheap. He buys primers by the 100 at the local shop and 1lb of powder at a time.

At $9/box vs $25/box, he will pay for a $150 used MEC in 10 boxes of shells of 16ga. Little longer for 28. But this is just talking target loads, big savings come when you load that $30 box of hunting ammo for $10 yourself. Yeah there's investment costs regarding buying in bulk, but having a surplus of shells on hand is a very very good thing when talking 16/28.
Certainly not arguing against reload as I am doing it myself. But I've been doing the math and it is questionable.

Mainly, time spent is not free. I was able to do 6 boxes/ hour of trap and about 2-3 boxes/hour of TSS (hand measuring everything). If I set my "worth" at minumum wage $10/hour then that $9/box is more like $10.50/box. Which for trap starts pushing into margins for any savings. I can typically find most ammo around that $10-13/box range if watch for sales.

For hunting loads, my first question is how to even compare to store bought. There's a lot of variables and I would be hard pressed to agree it's equivalent to $30/box ammo although it could also be worth more than any store bought. Depends on what wads and such you use. But even at the 10 box payoff, some people won't shoot that in 5 years or even 10 years for pheasant hunting. That's a long breakeven point if you are only going for savings.

Now if you like to tinker and you have 20+ different types of ammo already and aren't buying the first box of shells on your way out of town the day of hunting, you might enjoy the aspect of doing your own ammo. For me I wanted 3/8s os of TSS 410 for medium birds and not a single place sells that. Hence my getting into it. And then I wanted to practice with my 410 and which 410 target loads are $14-16/box and suddenly I can make a bit of savings. But I'm shooting way more instead of saving that money.

Back