2023/2024 Pheasant Hunting Videos

I guess I am fortunate to hunt areas that hold higher concentrations of birds. I also often hunt with others who have steady to flush dogs.

There is nothing worse then having a dog chase the first hen that flushes and proceed to kick up birds out of range. Also that wild chase riles the other dogs and mayhem is likely to occur.

When you watch a pheasant video and the guy does a voice-over, what do you think? Not talking about introductions/ conclusions with live video/audio. I'm more wondering when the hunter and dog are out in the field and then a narrator voice pops up out of nowhere and explains or gives context to the scene. In the small number of videos I've made I just throw in some on-screen text if there's something I feel needs pointing out.

Bob,

For me, less is better...too much talking/explaining sort of ruins the video experience. This is especially true, for me, when there's lots of yelling at the dog - repeating a command several times...

When you watch a pheasant video and the guy does a voice-over, what do you think? Not talking about introductions/ conclusions with live video/audio. I'm more wondering when the hunter and dog are out in the field and then a narrator voice pops up out of nowhere and explains or gives context to the scene. In the small number of videos I've made I just throw in some on-screen text if there's something I feel needs pointing out.
I don't need (or want) someone to tell me what I'm seeing. Using your eyes is kind of the point of a video. And I'd rather hear the sounds of rustling cover &....yes....even wind. Music is equally distracting for me.

Personally, I’m on the same page as you. While it doesn’t “ruin” a video, I would rather focus on the dogs and experience the flush vicariously as it happens rather than the narrator saying, “This is where Fido flushes a hen and a rooster at the end of the thicket. We managed to put this one in the bag after a long search after a poor shot.” and spoiling the sequence.

There are times when additional info is needed to provide context that the viewer might need to fully comprehend what’s happening, but a few letters across the screen does the job just fine, IMO

I don't need (or want) someone to tell me what I'm seeing. Using your eyes is kind of the point of a video. And I'd rather hear the sounds of rustling cover &....yes....even wind. Music is equally distracting for me.
X2 on the ambient sounds of nature during the hunt. Wind is annoying, but it’s better than AC/DC. And I love Angus and the boys.

I’ve fallen asleep to a lot of Eric Forester videos. It’s like watching golf on a Sunday afternoon, it’s soothing.
The couple times I felt like I needed to say something while I was wearing a camera it sounded forced and poorly scripted. Voice overs seem like they would be too much work.

I’ve fallen asleep to a lot of Eric Forester videos. It’s like watching golf on a Sunday afternoon, it’s soothing.
The couple times I felt like I needed to say something while I was wearing a camera it sounded forced and poorly scripted. Voice overs seem like they would be too much work.
I like his videos alot. He does voice overs in a nice way that doesn't distract from what's going on and doesn't overdo them either.

I agree with the additional voice editing comments and along those same lines, for me at least, the more DIY it is, the more I feel a part of it. I think Golden Hour's videos are so popular because it allows you to JOIN in on the hunt. It feels like I am there. No music, drone shots, or snippets of products used. I want the good and the bad that happens in a hunt that shows the partnership between man and dog.
It HAS to feature the dog for me or I'm not hooked. If you watch Golden Hour or Brett's videos you see Sage and Ace grow and/or get in the groove as the season progresses. I love that and I think its because we see the "unedited" version from beginning to end.
Anticlimacticaly, we know Sage is going to put up birds and Lucas has a good eye, so the outcome is quite predictable!!

I'm more a minimalist, but the nice thing is you're making the video for your own tastes primarily and can do whatever you want. My videos have often been made over several days, so sometimes I'll add text to show it's the next day, or if I've crossed state lines to hunt somewhere else. Also I often mention the type of land, public, private etc. On my first one I ever made I threw some music on, but only for the intro where I was introducing the dogs. I agree when hunting any music is a distraction. The only time I've added text to watch the dog, or a few times a little arrow on the screen, is when the dog was out of frame for a few seconds and the action happens fast, or when the dog is hard to see. I agree that the surprise of the flush is the best part, even on a video.
narrator saying, “This is where Fido flushes a hen and a rooster at the end of the thicket. We managed to put this one in the bag after a long search after a poor shot.” and spoiling the sequence.
^ agree with this 100%.

I think I brought this topic up because I wish I had another video to make. It's tedious and there's a learning curve, but once you've done it a few times it gets a lot quicker, and putting them together brings you back to the hunt. I suppose sometime over the offseason I could put together a good blooper reel. Plenty of misses and miscues on tape!

Back