ACL/TCL experiences?

GetTothePoint

My 3 year old shorthair female came in from doing her business last summer limping terribly and a vet visit confirmed 2 blown acl's. After much thought we decided $7k was just not the right move for us with no guarantee she'd heal soundly. So we kept her on a leash and pain meds for about a month then didn't really let her "run" until months later. I had came to grips with her just being a pet but today she tears across our property at full speed completely sound. Has anyone seen these things heal without having the surgeries?

I had a dog that had a career ending injury. Guy told me to just let her relax and heal and by the end of the summer was good as new. Took her out and set a goal of 15 min and came home. She was going BALLZ out and hurt a different leg…..and now she’s done. She watches TV with me every night.

My shorthair tore hers last summer. She was 10 and I couldn't justify surgery. She seemed okay for a few days and developed a lack of an appetite. She declined rapidly and I had to have her put down. I was fine doing less with her.

I never thought this dog would be as sound as she looks today. Makes a guy feel like she could be worked back in to the rotation for fall. To me the dog looks healed and stays sound even after 30-45 minutes of free running and some of that is at Mach 10.

Im curious what you meant by "No gaurantees" . Obviously anything can go wrong with any surgery but I cant say that Ive ever heard of a CCL repair not working or gone bad. Has anyone?

Im curious what you meant by "No gaurantees" . Obviously anything can go wrong with any surgery but I cant say that Ive ever heard of a CCL repair not working or gone bad. Has anyone?
The main concern for me was the aftercare and healing process without rerupturing. Both surgeons, both highly recommended, said this was always a concern especially with high motor breeds. When asked what the chances of the dog returning to full duty we'd get "probablies" and "most likely" and for 7k that wasn't good enough for me I guess. My neighbor trials labs and when I asked him he said most dogs he's seen have the surgery can return to duty but usually not the same. My question now is how sturdy are the naturally healed ligaments going to be? My hope was several would get on here and say they've been fine.

I have, but I think the problem was less the surgery/surgeons skill and more the lack of the owner following rehab procedures.

I know of one lab that had a partial tear at around 6 years of age. She was allowed to heal naturally (without surgery) and returned to a normal life of hunting, and competition to the ripe age of 13.

Back