Special pheasant!

benelli-banger

By happenstance I learned a newer friend of mine was coming to SD to hunt, he was looking to borrow a kennel cover. I found one for him, and also, insisted that he and his buddy join me at my camp…they arrived Thursday afternoon. Long story short, Bill was diagnosed with cancer in April, and had a long road to his lung being partially removed in October, as well as some lymph nodes. After 3 trips to ND, which were fruitless, he got one today! A more elated 63 year old I’ve never seen!!!!!! He’s missed a few prior to the one he got…just he and his dog, wandering in a dry creek bed, and he saw 50+ birds in his walk…a happy man! ✝️🥳👍

By happenstance I learned a newer friend of mine was coming to SD to hunt, he was looking to borrow a kennel cover. I found one for him, and also, insisted that he and his buddy join me at my camp…they arrived Thursday afternoon. Long story short, Bill was diagnosed with cancer in April, and had a long road to his lung being partially removed in October, as well as some lymph nodes. After 3 trips to ND, which were fruitless, he got one today! A more elated 63 year old I’ve never seen!!!!!! He’s missed a few prior to the one he got…just he and his dog, wandering in a dry creek bed, and he saw 50+ birds in his walk…a happy man! ✝️🥳👍
Great stuff! Congratulations to Bill and prayers for a full recovery.

Nice BB. That is why party hunting can be frustrating for those that aren't quick or good shots, (or just don't pay attention or are never ready) they can keep trying, instead of the normal ones filling their limit. I am (was) a bit slow on realizing this myself. I did start asking if it was OK eventually and now that I know the legality of it here, I started holstering my gun when I have my 3 and let the others do the shooting. It can't be as much fun, if you don't get much shooting.

Well done BB, that will be lasting memories for Bill and all involved in the hunt. I will keep Bill in my thoughts and prayers for a full recovery.

He limited today…I left he and his buddy about 10 am as they were about to begin hunting, I got the brief report at 5:20 pm that he finished his limit with a “high crosser”…he was in disbelief! I’m like a kid waiting to see what’s beneath the Christmas tree awaiting his call with full details! 🍺👍🥳

He limited today…I left he and his buddy about 10 am as they were about to begin hunting, I got the brief report at 5:20 pm that he finished his limit with a “high crosser”…he was in disbelief! I’m like a kid waiting to see what’s beneath the Christmas tree awaiting his call with full details!
That is awesome BB, please share once you get the call. Congrats Bill, drinking a beer or two to celebrate your success!

Talked to him yesterday, he was over the moon happy! I set he and his buddy
up on 2 different pieces of land that are a few miles apart, one being mine. They limited between those 2 spots plus an another small chunk of cover that Bill hunted on his own that yielded the high crosser! They called around 8 pm last night after grabbing a burger about 15 miles away. Bill is learning how to lead at this point…he was a D 1 hockey player, actually played in the national championship that went 4 or 5 overtimes his junior year. I’ve instructed that leading is like passing the puck to a teammate…you put it where he’s going to be, not where he is…he’ll get it pretty quickly. I can’t wait for today’s call!

Talked to him yesterday, he was over the moon happy! I set he and his buddy
up on 2 different pieces of land that are a few miles apart, one being mine. They limited between those 2 spots plus an another small chunk of cover that Bill hunted on his own that yielded the high crosser! They called around 8 pm last night after grabbing a burger about 15 miles away. Bill is learning how to lead at this point…he was a D 1 hockey player, actually played in the national championship that went 4 or 5 overtimes his junior year. I’ve instructed that leading is like passing the puck to a teammate…you put it where he’s going to be, not where he is…he’ll get it pretty quickly. I can’t wait for today’s call!
That was great advice and easy to understand for him. When I coached hockey that is what I preached go where the puck is going to be not where it has been. Such an awesome story and experience. Again, well done BB!

Back