Pheasants and quail

Huns are not anywhere near as big as chukar, and I've shot plenty of gambell's with 5's. No straight-aways flew through my IC 1-oz loads.
What ranges were you hitting them at? 1 oz 5s is only like 170 pellets. Most charts suggest 210+ for 30 inch pattern on quail. For an IC that's feels like it would only be good for like 25 yards before it has holes.

What ranges were you hitting them at? 1 oz 5s is only like 170 pellets. Most charts suggest 210+ for 30 inch pattern on quail. For an IC that's feels like it would only be good for like 25 yards before it has holes.

Strange things happen! I am almost 100% when shooting 3/4oz of steel 4s (141 pellets) at doves. Ive only done it about 10 times while duck hunting, but I still couldn't believe it each time. Actually thinking back, the last time i got 2 doves and a snipe in 3 shots with them. I was in the duck blind and my buddy was walking around looking for doves because he was bored. i heard "DOVES!!" Yelled from behind me and a flock of 10-12 flew right at me, i dropped two in 2 shots. Before I could reload I heard "SNIPE!" And a lone snipe had flushed right in front of my buddy and flew right over the blind, got that one with my 3rd shot. Sometimes its important to be lucky! I do believe i missed every duck i shot at that day

Luck wins the lottery. Better to be lucky than good. Always be gracious when luck shows up. (y) The harder I work, the luckier I get. Good banter

Last edited:

The quail are usually closer than the huns, say 20 yards average compared to 30. If I were not primarily hunting pheasants I would be using smaller shot. That said, I have had no complaints about how an ounce of 5's has worked on the smaller birds. I even got a skotch double on huns a couple of years ago.

If you are in an area where you could see either a quail covey or a lone rooster what shells would you have for a 12 bore?
Years ago we used to do well on both pheasant and quail in NE Kansas. I shoot an O/U and I would load #8 in the first barrel and #6 in the second. Back then I killed roosters with #8 and quail with #6 on more than a couple occasions. These days I shoot #5 and with fewer rooster opportunities I have #5 in both barrels until a covey flush. Then I'll switch to #8 and hunt the singles.

1 1/4 ounce 7.5 size shot 1250 fps always for everything. I figure that the better chance that I have to break legs on a rooster the better off I am going to be. They run like crazy if they still have their legs. Additionally, it doesn't hurt to put a few more BB's in quail for the same reason.

Back