Cheap lead shells

Stopped by Cabela's in Dundee MI the other day and picked up a case of lead ( was the limit) for $85. its 1 1/8oz load and I took the last sm shot of 7 1/2 but there was 6 and 4's when I left
They had Steel as well just not what I shoot

Stopped by Cabela's in Dundee MI the other day and picked up a case of lead ( was the limit) for $85. its 1 1/8oz load and I took the last sm shot of 7 1/2 but there was 6 and 4's when I left
They had Steel as well just not what I shoot
4 shot is the king.

I've always been an avid reloader. I reload hevishot, steel, bismuth, of course lead, and have even dabbled in the TSS. I have hulls from 28 ga. to 10 ga. Have over 1000 in 10 ga alone. Buy my primers by the 5000 count. I have enough hulls, shot, wads and 'stuff' to last a lifetime. I also buy case volumes and odd boxes at gun shows when ever I can. Under Clinton ammo supply was an issue...under 'Barry' it was downright BAD...under sleepy Joe it' now a nightmare. I don't worry about ammo. I would encourage any avid hunter to at least consider buying a modest reloader. The MEC 650Jr. is not speedy but it's rugged and you can load up several boxes of shells in short order. I have several different reloaders including a progressive unit. You don't need that. If the average hunter simply set themselves up to do 1.0oz steel #3's and 1 1/4oz lead loads they might not have great variety but they would be hunting birds instead of shells.

Just my 2 cents.

Not sure of # of birds shot by most of the folks on here, but I shoot and see alot of birds shot each year, and my unscientific observation is that more wild roosters are shot with 11/4 Oz. #4 shot, than any other load. Birds are hit and anchored. Brand doesn't seem to matter, we all have our opinions on that.

I take your point...1 1/4 oz. is/was a staple. I'll leave it at that...involving shot size and brand name only starts fights. ;)

Having said that I've killed a lot of pheasants with this load. However, my patterning showed me that unless you really choked down, 1 1/4 oz. of #4's got a little thin and patchy as you got to the 40 yard mark. Properly choked for that distance and you ended up with some "extra crunchy" roosters under 20 yards. They are well ventilated by snug patterns of the bigger pellet. I normally load up with nickel plated 5's.

Being able to load up snappy 1.0 oz. loads of steel #3's keeps you alive on public ground. As I said...not a lot of people want to reload. But a modest investment to have the ability to load just a few different loads will keep you in the grass and in the public marshes.

I've always been an avid reloader. I reload hevishot, steel, bismuth, of course lead, and have even dabbled in the TSS. I have hulls from 28 ga. to 10 ga. Have over 1000 in 10 ga alone. Buy my primers by the 5000 count. I have enough hulls, shot, wads and 'stuff' to last a lifetime. I also buy case volumes and odd boxes at gun shows when ever I can. Under Clinton ammo supply was an issue...under 'Barry' it was downright BAD...under sleepy Joe it' now a nightmare. I don't worry about ammo. I would encourage any avid hunter to at least consider buying a modest reloader. The MEC 650Jr. is not speedy but it's rugged and you can load up several boxes of shells in short order. I have several different reloaders including a progressive unit. You don't need that. If the average hunter simply set themselves up to do 1.0oz steel #3's and 1 1/4oz lead loads they might not have great variety but they would be hunting birds instead of shells.

Just my 2 cents.
Thumbs down!!

I'm just hoping Cabelas or Walmart will have a few boxes to sell when I come through. I'm flying this year and don't really want to pack shells.

I take your point...1 1/4 oz. is/was a staple. I'll leave it at that...involving shot size and brand name only starts fights. ;)

Having said that I've killed a lot of pheasants with this load. However, my patterning showed me that unless you really choked down, 1 1/4 oz. of #4's got a little thin and patchy as you got to the 40 yard mark. Properly choked for that distance and you ended up with some "extra crunchy" roosters under 20 yards. They are well ventilated by snug patterns of the bigger pellet. I normally load up with nickel plated 5's.

Being able to load up snappy 1.0 oz. loads of steel #3's keeps you alive on public ground. As I said...not a lot of people want to reload. But a modest investment to have the ability to load just a few different loads will keep you in the grass and in the public marshes.
All good points. Yes you are right patterning is everything, without a long comment chocks/guns are all unique and need to be tested to determine effective kill range and density.

Back