Inside or outside

Dogs are inside. In crates, if they haven't earned the ability to be out of their crates. The crates are for their own protection really. I never understood the disdain towards crates frankly. (Used within reason, of course)

Mine is inside, used to crate him during the day when we were gone, after a few years he has the run of the house 24/7, now I work from home, he seems to spend a fair amount of time in the crate during the day...he is 12 now, so he is slowing down.

Outside mostly. Heated dog houses and fans and water misting when it’s really hot. They have nice facilities at my place.

I get that.I would never put my dog outside. I dont believe in kennels , or crates. Just my opinion.
I used to be that way -

We got tired of the mess/dirt and constant cleaning required (not to mention where we live now is just not conducive now to keeping dirt/etc out with dogs due to the terrain -- Once my female passed last May no more dogs in the house.

We will be building a new house beside our existing one if all works out this year - even then I plan on them staying out most of the time save for letting them in if I'm watching TV or in my planned office and as they get older maybe they can come in but I doubt I'll ever go back to full time house living again. I frankly dont miss it.

Had a dog living inside from the time I was 15 or so until 40 -- I'm enjoying less dirt and no dog hair in the house.

Appreciate the good conversation, my old black lab stayed strictly outside and maybe one of the best dogs/hunting buddys I have ever hunted around, once he got a few years under him he stayed inside, does the harsh winter nights and outside take a toll on em in the long run? I would assume yes

Appreciate the good conversation, my old black lab stayed strictly outside and maybe one of the best dogs/hunting buddys I have ever hunted around, once he got a few years under him he stayed inside, does the harsh winter nights and outside take a toll on em in the long run? I would assume yes
As long as they have a good place to escape the elements, then no.

Cosmo spends a fair amount of time inside, especially when its winter (cold) or summer (hot). Frankly I'm more worried about a lab in the summer heat than I am in the cold of winter. She has a large kennel with a concrete floor and an insulated dog house that is all under my deck so there is a good amount of space out of the elements.

In the truck or SUV, she has always rode in a crate. Its dangerous for a dog to not be in one while traveling and is a distraction to the driver. She hops in there immediately when I tell her to and never makes any noise while riding in there. Another reason to use a crate is the cleanliness. The inside of my truck is immaculate and its going to stay that way. There's nothing worse than riding in a car with a whining dog or a screaming child.

I would tend to agree - Clearly this is unscientific but from my own personal experience they tend to live longer. (OWN PERSONAL EXPERIENCE PEOPLE :) )
One thing - Since they live inside with me and I'm around them a lot... If something is wrong with them, I usually notice it very VERY quickly. Which may not be the case in other situations. Not saying that it is automatically the case, or that dogs who live outside don't have attentive owners. Just stating the fact that I'm around them a ton (from the couch to sleeping in bed with me, etc) and tend to notice subtle changes.

My pups have a great outdoor kennel with sleeping quarters in my wife's she shed also doghouse in the kennel. Prior to pandemic they would be in kennel during the day while we were at work unless it was bitter cold. They would be in the house to sleep unless we are gone some where. I've been working from home since March of 2020 so the kennel isn't used much.

inside. stronger bonding and a dog eager to do your bidding.

06CD8BE0-099B-4606-A6C4-E25F7CC9892C.jpegInside. Look at that face.

I see mischievous written all over his face!
She’s rotten. The most ornery lab I’ve ever had.
She’s a good little bird dog though. Maybe the best I’ve had as well.

Back