Looking good this year!

I hunted a GBA yesterday. That one day hunt was as good as any I've ever had in SD, ND, Iowa, Kansas or Nebraska. We saw at least 50 roosters.

You guys must be hunting in the Benton-Newton-Jasper County area. A lot of the GameBird Habitat properties are located there. Up in NC Indiana there are a very few birds; not seeing much so far, so tomorrow morning I'm going to visit my son south of Bloomington, IL and hunt wild birds Saturday and Sunday--then head to NW Iowa and hunt there for a few days. We did well in those places last year. Good Luck!

Heading out tomorrow to hunt Newton/Benton/Warren counties. With the dry conditions over the nesting season should be good numbers this year. We'll see. The cover is the thing. If it didn't grow well where we hunt then probably won't see much. If the grass is good should be good.

Heading out tomorrow to hunt Newton/Benton/Warren counties. With the dry conditions over the nesting season should be good numbers this year. We'll see. The cover is the thing. If it didn't grow well where we hunt then probably won't see much. If the grass is good should be good.
I assume you have some private places. I'm a couple three hrs. south of there. I went up there once didn't have much luck getting permission.

I assume you have some private places. I'm a couple three hrs. south of there. I went up there once didn't have much luck getting permission.
Correct. Nobody will let you hunt up there if you just show up. Very few will even if you know them well.

Place I have hunted for 15 years had 95% of the cover mowed down. Saw nothing but one dove. Drove over to Kankakee Sands but that's like being lost in the desert. You could walk for days and not see a pheasant, although I know it is full of them.

Correct. Nobody will let you hunt up there if you just show up. Very few will even if you know them well.

Place I have hunted for 15 years had 95% of the cover mowed down. Saw nothing but one dove. Drove over to Kankakee Sands but that's like being lost in the desert. You could walk for days and not see a pheasant, although I know it is full of them.
I've hunted Kankakee sand a few times....I usually see a few birds but last year I didn't see anything. Long drive for me to see nothing.

I've hunted Kankakee sand a few times....I usually see a few birds but last year I didn't see anything. Long drive for me to see nothing.
Talked to the DNR guy at Willow/Kankakee when we went to sign in. Said they have quite a few covey of quail identified this year. Last time i was there quail was closed for hunting.

I've seen birds driving by Kankakee in the winter but first time I have tried any hunting. I'm not even sure how one would go about it. It's just miles of grass in all directions. Did kick up 4 deer.

The above reports are precisely why I spend most of my time hunting pheasants in Illinois, Iowa and South Dakota. It takes birds to make a bird dog, I'm 70 years old, and Time's A'Wastin'!!

Talked to the DNR guy at Willow/Kankakee when we went to sign in. Said they have quite a few covey of quail identified this year. Last time i was there quail was closed for hunting.

I've seen birds driving by Kankakee in the winter but first time I have tried any hunting. I'm not even sure how one would go about it. It's just miles of grass in all directions. Did kick up 4 deer.
I treat it just like out west....hunt grass next to picked corn or beans. You're right though...Nothing but grass for the most part

Back