Iowa Duck and Pheasant Combo Hunt

doffiehoward

Doing a father/son hunt in Northwest Iowa in November. He finally has some time to get away after being deployed for a couple of years with the Army and college schedule. Any tips on the Spirit Lake area? Not looking for any honey holes, just some public where he and I can spend some time and shoot a couple of birds here and there. Bad part is we only have 4 days but we'll make the most of it. It's mostly to spend time together and get new pup on wild birds.

Welcome to the forum. I think you will likely be within 15 miles of as much public ground in Iowa as possible at Spirit lake. Check-out the map! There is so much, you couldn't hunt all of it in a week....not sure you could scout it all in a week. Good luck, looking forward to pics from the outing!

1663803493478.png

I can't speak to the Iowa side of the border, but I've hunted just a couple miles to the north of Spirit Lake on the MN side quite a few times and have gotten into good numbers of birds. I would assume the Iowa side should be just as good.

Welcome to the forum. I think you will likely be within 15 miles of as much public ground in Iowa as possible at Spirit lake. Check-out the map! There is so much, you couldn't hunt all of it in a week....not sure you could scout it all in a week. Good luck, looking forward to pics from the outing!

View attachment 4052

Yeah I've been researching the atlas a bunch and using Google Earth as well.

I know the area well. Expect a TON of pressure but you can find a place to wonder around. If you want to start a private conversation with me on this site I can help you out with accommodation ideas and perhaps we'll bump into each other.

Back