Best GoPro 8 settings

Bird Buster

I upgraded from a Hero 3 to an 8 and notice a lot of changes on it. What are the best settings to use for filming hunting in the field?

Not much info on the newer gopros on here so gonna bump this one up. I'm getting my 8 in today and wondering what everyone else is running for settings also.

Not much info on the newer gopros on here so gonna bump this one up. I'm getting my 8 in today and wondering what everyone else is running for settings also.
Curius why you bought a almost 3 year old camera with technology changing as fast as it does these days. Just the money? Can get a 10 for 350 $$ right now that includes a 1 year subscription to Gopro. Or is there something you really like about the 8 over the 10?

Nah just the money savings. It does what I need. I researched for a while and cost difference for features I wouldn't use didn't make sense really....

Nah just the money savings. It does what I need. I researched for a while and cost difference for features I wouldn't use didn't make sense really....
Yeah since the Seven Black edition they really haven't changed much.
I leave my camera on the wide lense with pro tune most of the time. 1080p at 60fps. It's faster to upload that way, but you can still use the slow motion, and grab pictures from the video. You can change color and filters of your videos after you take them in the GoPro app on your phone if you like. Best investment would be a cheap foam cover it cuts out wind noise but you can still all the other sounds fine . You can get them in Amazon on eBay

I will have to grab one of them when I get a few more batteries. Another benefit of ordering it used is I got a TON of accessories with it, I think that remote will be pretty handy for hunting.

I'll second 1080 and wide or ultrawide mode. I use 5 min loop mode to eliminate clips of just scenery. Also check out the "Sportsmans Mount" which allows you to mount the camera on your shotgun. I used it when I was spearfishing a lot in a past life but wouldn't dare put it on my shotgun and record all those misses :)
Tom

I got tired of my gopro sliding around with the elastic head band.

Found this on amazon and just practicing with it on the farm it seems to work great, incredibly stable and comfortable.

Digicharge Baseball Cap Hat with Action Camera Holder Mount Bracket, Compatible with GoPro Hero​

$14.19 and delivered in 2 days. 11 days until I get to try it for real in SD.

Keep us posted on how that works. I've been happy with my set up (camera on bill, as close to my head as I can get it), but am interested in this design.

I got tired of my gopro sliding around with the elastic head band.

Found this on amazon and just practicing with it on the farm it seems to work great, incredibly stable and comfortable.

Digicharge Baseball Cap Hat with Action Camera Holder Mount Bracket, Compatible with GoPro Hero​

$14.19 and delivered in 2 days. 11 days until I get to try it for real in SD.
I can't get the link to work. I bought one that has done floating material under the hat(I cut it off) and have a mount on the front and a metal backer inside. You gotta poke 2 small holes through to get it all sandwiched together but it works pretty slick. I got enough QF hats laying around it wasn't a big deal to donate one to the cause.

I can't get the link to work. I bought one that has done floating material under the hat(I cut it off) and have a mount on the front and a metal backer inside. You gotta poke 2 small holes through to get it all sandwiched together but it works pretty slick. I got enough QF hats laying around it wasn't a big deal to donate one to the cause.

Keep us posted on how that works. I've been happy with my set up (camera on bill, as close to my head as I can get it), but am interested in this design.
GH - I've used the bill attachment too, but always felt front heavy to me. This has the weight 3-4 inches further back. I'm not crazy about the black hat, but the gopro mount is stitched into the front of the cap so it could be changed easily.
I've been using it when I run the dogs on the farm and so far, pleased, not as much camera bounce as using the bill or headband. Hat quality is better than I expected.
Videos soon!

Side topic...what are you all using for editing software? I just got a Hero 9 and am looking for something user friendly but also something to make good videos with. Thanks.

Side topic...what are you all using for editing software? I just got a Hero 9 and am looking for something user friendly but also something to make good videos with. Thanks.
I use GoPro Studio that I got for "free" years ago with my Hero 5. I believe it's no longer available, which probably is no big loss. I'm pretty sure I don't use it even close to its fullest capabilities, but I just don't care to put more time or money into my videos than I already do. Plus, I hate learning new software.

I'm pretty sure Golden Hour uses Adobe Premier Pro & likes it.

A5 is correct, I use Adobe Premiere Pro. It is $30/month and I barely scratch the surface of it's capabilities, but hopefully I'll expand my repertoire of videography skills!

Another side topic...is anyone using the Enduro batteries? If so, do they really last longer? Any aftermarket batteries that you like?

Back