Stevens 550 issues.

Weimdogman

I bought a 550 12 gauge a couple weeks ago. I know it is a entry level gun but I am hard on my pheasant guns. As a example replaced 4 buttocks on my old 870. Anyways sometimes when I shoot 1 barrel open the breach reload and close the action that barrel won't fire. Doesn't matter if it occurs with upper or lower barrel.
Bought it at the Exchange and he is a volume dealer so no warranty issues.
Just curious if this is a outlier. I have read of both barrels firing at once. I have not had that issue.

Try removing the wood, remove the barrels and spray all internals you can reach with brake cleaner. Do not get brake cleaner on the wood! Then blow it out good and don't oil it. Try it again and see if it helps. I like to shoot a few hundred rounds then repeat, oiling this time. This allows things to mesh some. It may not be fully cocking or there might be an issue with barrel selector as it will reset to your chosen barrel after opening. It might break in as you shoot it more.

It may not be fully cocking or there might be an issue with barrel selector as it will reset to your chosen barrel after opening. It might break in as you shoot it more.

A quality shotgun should not have to be broken in so that it functions properly.

A quality shotgun should function properly out of the box.

I contend that a quality, low price over/under shotgun is a unicorn.

A quality shotgun should not have to be broken in so that it functions properly.

A quality shotgun should function properly out of the box.

I contend that a quality, low price over/under shotgun is a unicorn.
So true! I'm not sure how good the quality control is from the Turkish guns. I'm not knocking them, just sayin..

As for disassembly this is a new gun so I am not doing that unless so instructed by the manufacturer.

It is a real possibility the gun has heavy grease and in the temp range I was out in that maybe the issue. I will update this when I get info from Stevens/Savage.

As for disassembly this is a new gun so I am not doing that unless so instructed by the manufacturer.

It is a real possibility the gun has heavy grease and in the temp range I was out in that maybe the issue. I will update this when I get info from Stevens/Savage.
That could be but I own the cz bobwhite G2. my buddy owns The cz ultralight. And a friend who owns a gun shop, is a Tristar dealer. I've picked up several 555's and have never seen any heavy grease in any of them. My buddys ultralight locked open the first time he shot it. We monkied with it until it closed. It never happened again. My Rizzini fired both barrels first time I shot I, never did it again. I would shoot a few hundred rounds through it before I sent it back. Their customer support is supposed to be good but expect 8-10 weeks if you send it back.

All guns are mass produced unless is custom made or such. One always finds some issues on them but the majority are good to go out of the box. I suggest to contact their customer service and see what their story line is? This is where most of us have some difficulties as the warranty and customer service is all over the board on each respective brand name. My brother's 555 has not had any issues granted he does not shoot alot but takes it upland hunting here in the Rockies. Not a lot of birds.

Last edited:
Back