Rex Specs???

A5 Sweet 16

Looking for info on Rex Specs. Very little comes up here when I do a search.
For anyone who's tried them, what are the pros & cons? Thanks for any input!!

Ace & I hunted Friday (successfully, I might add), but spent the evening at the ER, rather than at a Christmas Eve church service.
He'd gotten a real good gash on his hind leg (needed cleaning & stitches), as well as 2 little bits of grass/weed lodged in his cornea.
The eye thing seemed to bother him considerably more than the leg injury. I couldn't flush or wipe them out.
The vet said we were right - that the material in his eye would NOT have worked itself out on its own.
Consequently, I'm now nearly $500 poorer than I'd been earlier in the day.
That said, the patient seems to be doing very well, although he'll probably have to take a weekend off.

20211227_075729.jpg

Happy New Year, A5. No matter the cost, what a great companion Ace is. It seems like you had a good 2021, now start working for a great 2022.

My best wishes to you and to Ace.

They always struggle wisth those stupid cones!
No kidding! Poor little guy. By yesterday it didn't seem to be bothering him too much, although continually bumping into stuff. I took it off before leaving for work this morning, since the rest of the family is home today to watch him. I haven't had a report yet though whether he's leaving the eye & stitches alone.

We use them on our dogs. Had a close call with an eye injury that got us to start using them. We now consider them a minimal investment compared to injury and time away from the field healing.
The pros? There is a far less chance for eye injury if you have a hard charging dog. I also don’t worry about foreign material (weeds, seeds, etc) in the eyes anymore.
The cons? It does take some time for acclimation. Typically dogs try to paw them of their face. We remove the lens while they get use to them. We also start throwing dummies as that distracts them.

One thing is that you will notice the lens will get a ton of scratches on them. They can get really bad before needing to replace them.

They make a comfy cone out of a soft material. I used it when my dog got spayed. The big plastic one was so heavy it would pull her head down and the cone would get hung up and then she'd trip.

They make a comfy cone out of a soft material. I used it when my dog got spayed. The big plastic one was so heavy it would pull her head down and the cone would get hung up and then she'd trip.
Yeah, I wish that's what we could use in this case. But the cone seems necessary so he doesn't use his front paw to rub at his eye.

I used a youth sized tee shirt, taped the bottom of the shirt to make it tighter on the body of thge dogand keep it in front of his business. Seemed to work pretty good, he fought the cone.

Same as Glock, started using them last year and will never go back. No worries anymore about eyes, and really cuts down on abrasions around the eyes as well. They fit well, and it didn't take that long for my springer to get used to them. You will probably go through a handful of replacement lenses over the course of a season, but beats the heck out of a vet bill or even more importantly a long-term eye injury.IMG_4777.jpg

Same as Glock, started using them last year and will never go back. No worries anymore about eyes, and really cuts down on abrasions around the eyes as well. They fit well, and it didn't take that long for my springer to get used to them. You will probably go through a handful of replacement lenses over the course of a season, but beats the heck out of a vet bill or even more importantly a long-term eye injury.View attachment 2653
It’s amazing the amount of abuse that you see on those lens. I think that a typical dog’s eyes get scratched, scraped and abused a lot more while hunting then most people think.

I don’t think I will hunt without them, again.

Attachments

• B70B444E-6933-4DA5-9028-D987B6A556C7.jpeg
    B70B444E-6933-4DA5-9028-D987B6A556C7.jpeg
    2.6 MB · Views: 34
With the lenses in. He took about four sessions to get used to them.

Attachments

• ED7B5947-0D5D-43CC-8EB9-8B16D2346D2D.jpeg
    ED7B5947-0D5D-43CC-8EB9-8B16D2346D2D.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 18
For those using Rex specs, do they fog up? How do they handle snow rain? I wear glasses and they suck at times just wondering how the dogs fair?

They have great ventilation and are designed not to fog. They can be worn in the water, too.

Back