Tumor e-collar?

Alaskan swamp collies

Just had a tumor removed from the neck of a 4 year old. Fortunately benign. But what got me was that is right where the e-collar sits. We haven't had to hit him any harder than any other dog, but he has gotten a fair amount of low level taps to remind him to stay in range. Question is has anyone else had this happen or is this just a fluke? A little hesitant to put a collar back on him now, but he is a little headstrong to hunt without.

Just had a tumor removed from the neck of a 4 year old. Fortunately benign. But what got me was that is right where the e-collar sits. We haven't had to hit him any harder than any other dog, but he has gotten a fair amount of low level taps to remind him to stay in range. Question is has anyone else had this happen or is this just a fluke? A little hesitant to put a collar back on him now, but he is a little headstrong to hunt without.

Never had a tumor, but in my formative years I would see occasional hot spots where the probes contacted the neck. Once I learned to make sure the collar was snug enough to make good contact w/o rubbing and began alternating sides of the neck where the probes made contact every hunt, that pretty much eliminated any issues.

I watch and there is no external skin abrasions from rubbing. Been using collars for years with no problems, this just weirded me out. The tumor was right where the probes contacted the skin, just underneath the skin.

I watch and there is no external skin abrasions from rubbing. Been using collars for years with no problems, this just weirded me out. The tumor was right where the probes contacted the skin, just underneath the skin.

Did you bring this possibility up to your vet? What was the response?

She had not seen anything like that before that could have a relation to an e-collar. That said there are not a lot of bird hunters in our area and the use of e-collars are not common. Those that use them usually only have them on for a few training periods in the summer, than duck hunt a couple times in the fall. I train throughout the summer and than go on an extended upland hunt in the prairies. That said my dogs wear collars, sometimes every day of the week, but can go days without being tapped.

She had not seen anything like that before that could have a relation to an e-collar. That said there are not a lot of bird hunters in our area and the use of e-collars are not common. Those that use them usually only have them on for a few training periods in the summer, than duck hunt a couple times in the fall. I train throughout the summer and than go on an extended upland hunt in the prairies. That said my dogs wear collars, sometimes every day of the week, but can go days without being tapped.

I have asked gundogdoc. Will let you know what he says.

Here's the response:

"Honestly I'd need more information about the mass. As far as the collar causing a tumor from electricity or use I would know of no way for that to happen. The one possibility I can think of would be if the collar was on for extended periods and caused some type of folliculitis or other dermal change related to chronic irritation, but again that would be dependent on the tumor type, etc."

Back