First time hunting KS.. wiha??? A joke??

TexasPHEZHunter

Well I am here now on my first Kansas trip. I have hunted NE and SD extensively the past 5 years and Kansas has always been a drive thru state for me.

I am now seeing it probably should stay that way. What is going on the WIHA program here? I am hunting out of Oakley in NW as of now and I bet I looked at a 60-70 mile square unit south of Colby and west to goodland and I bet 95% of the posted WIHA spots are plowed fields?

Is this typical for the rest of the state? I guess I have been spoiled by the incredible program Nebraska has had going the past few years with there walk in areas.

As for birds, we walked 2 of the only CRP half decent cover fields we found and did move a few pheasants, no quail though.

I understand where your coming from , the Nebraska program is color coded so you know if your hunting stubble / Crop Felids , CRP lands , waterfowl production areas , or Canyons / rough pasture .

There are some good CRP lands it takes a bit of scouting to put it all together . Look at KDWPT website and see that 500,000 Acres of CRP is getting ready to expire in 2020 Next year . They briefly mention about the negative impact it might have on the walk in program .

It’s not all CRP, because it’s not for upland only. Those wide open fields are good for calling coyotes and waterfowl hunting. Scout some more. You’ll find the CRP, and the birds.

All the above is true. In the areas I hunt the vast majority of walk-ins are CRP, or at least partially CRP. KDWPT's website has satellite imagery covering the whole state with the WIHA tracts identified. Not hard to tell what's CRP and what isn't.

Well I am here now on my first Kansas trip. I have hunted NE and SD extensively the past 5 years and Kansas has always been a drive thru state for me.

I am now seeing it probably should stay that way. What is going on the WIHA program here? I am hunting out of Oakley in NW as of now and I bet I looked at a 60-70 mile square unit south of Colby and west to goodland and I bet 95% of the posted WIHA spots are plowed fields?

Is this typical for the rest of the state? I guess I have been spoiled by the incredible program Nebraska has had going the past few years with there walk in areas.

As for birds, we walked 2 of the only CRP half decent cover fields we found and did move a few pheasants, no quail though.

Welcome to Kansas!

TexasPHEZHunter, check your private messages.

I have noticed that if you get to far NW of Wakeeny, the landscape changes pretty drastically. Fields planted to road and lots of tillage. I’m with everyone else, there is plenty of CRP and crop ground out there, you just have to be in the right area. Sorry your trip to KS was bust though, hate to see that.

With help from a few members and lots of driving scouting today further west and south we found the CRP and got into the Pheasants. It was a great day, I take back the negative comments above. The landscape, cover and terrain changed drastically the further south and west I went. Also much more remote which I am sure helps the bird numbers.

With help from a few members and lots of driving scouting today further west and south we found the CRP and got into the Pheasants. It was a great day, I take back the negative comments above. The landscape, cover and terrain changed drastically the further south and west I went. Also much more remote which I am sure helps the bird numbers.
It can take some miles on the truck and on the boots, but a guy can usually find some good bird numbers and hunting if he looks for it. I’m glad to hear you got into some pheasants. You ought to run across some quail eventually too. Best of luck, and be safe out there!

You will run into a lot of that type of ground. Disced fields are pretty worthless even for waterfowl unless your in an area with waterfowl and they are using that particular field.

Takes lots of miles to find a few good spots.

Back