Ace's First Hunt

A5 Sweet 16

Took Leah (12) out for a little youth action & Ace's first hunt. He's just over 5 mo old now. We had a lot of fun & Ace did awesome.
I'm so pumped for the season to get going. I think he is going to be amazing. My attitude has done a 180 since Buzz died in December.
No birds in SD though, so everyone stay home this year. :rolleyes:
View attachment 9418

The cover looks really thick and tall from all the summer rain. Youth season was a great way to get young Ace and Leah, on some birds. The season can’t get here soon enough! Oh wait you mentioned no birds in SD :)

The cover looks really thick and tall from all the summer rain. Youth season was a great way to get young Ace and Leah, on some birds. The season can’t get here soon enough! Oh wait you mentioned no birds in SD :)

Cover is off the charts. And out toward the back of this place we ran into Canada Wild Rye. Won't be back for that reason. You can have the birds at that spot. (see below for the truth)
View attachment 9419

Thats awesome!! Did he put any up and did any come back down?

Mike - We tried a WPA between Colman & Brookings. Ace is pretty small yet, so we had to go really, really slow so he could hunt. But hunt he did. He didn't know WHAT he was after, but he was definitely hunting. And out front. Not following behind. In 1.5 hours, we didn't cover much ground. We made it 3/8 mile down a fence line & back. Saw 3 groups of birds in that little stretch - about 15-18 total, several of which were young roosters. Leah took 1 shot, but only in the bird's general direction. The first group, Ace was definitely birdy & was largely responsible for beginning their flush. He loved it. Leah & I had fun seeing birds. I couldn't have been more pleased (except if she could've miraculously dropped that 1 rooster). If I'm able to do my job & put him on birds, I'm thinking 1 or 2 more outings & he'll know why he's out there. We got back to the truck right about sunset & heard other birds in the area.

That said, a friend of mine was down working on his place (his own private pheasant heaven) all weekend down around Platte. He thinks the birds have been decimated. He was out all hours, including sunrise & sunset, saw only 1 hen & heard very, very few. His place is typically FULL of pheasants. It's pretty concerning. Unfortunately he's probably not wrong.

Back