Final Day of My Season

walk213,
Glad you were able to get some birds on your last trip. Great Video.
Kiva

walk213,
Glad you were able to get some birds on your last trip. Great Video.
Kiva

Thanks for watching. It was a cool trip. We saw a lot of prairie chickens. Again, I did not get close enough for a shot. Hope you get out this week.

Thanks for sharing.
Echo is looking great already heading into "magic" year number four next season. My Lab had that light bulb moment that everyone talks about while hunting up in North Dakota.

Brute

Thanks for sharing.
Echo is looking great already heading into "magic" year number four next season. My Lab had that light bulb moment that everyone talks about while hunting up in North Dakota.

Brute

Thanks Brute. She is fantastic. She finds birds, her prey drive is high and she can usually locates dead/crippled birds. We have to work on where she hunts. This year, she got away from me five or six times. Roosters were running and she pursued. Unfortunately, she pushed them out of my shooting range. I need to talk with my breeder/trainer about how we work on that issue. She is a pointing lab, and she will point on sitting birds. If the bird moves or the scent starts to fade, she moves. Off season work will be important.

We have to work on where she hunts. This year, she got away from me five or six times. Roosters were running and she pursued. Unfortunately, she pushed them out of my shooting range. I need to talk with my breeder/trainer about how we work on that issue.

I have the same issue with my Springer this year. If he hit a hot sent he was on it until he flushed the bird. Like you said in another thread, "I can't run after the dog anymore." I can move quick but running is out. Fortunately for me they were mostly hens. Could not turn him or stop him. So if your breeder has a solution I'd like to hear it. Ty ran like that when he was a pup but after his first year he stopped and hunted fairly close.

Chickens at this time of year are tough to get close too. They are a bird that relies on "sight to flight". They see you long before you see them and when they doe they start flushing. Once and along while you can catch a straggler but not that often. Early morning in snowing or foggy conditions is when I have my best late season success. PS on all this: Blaze orange with chickens is like blaze orange with duck or turkeys.. No good.

Great video. Especially love the incoming shot on that rooster in the tree line. He just folds so nicely.

Great soundtrack. We'll have to talk about Aaron Lewis sometime.

Matt

I have the same issue with my Springer this year. If he hit a hot sent he was on it until he flushed the bird. Like you said in another thread, "I can't run after the dog anymore." I can move quick but running is out. Fortunately for me they were mostly hens. Could not turn him or stop him. So if your breeder has a solution I'd like to hear it. Ty ran like that when he was a pup but after his first year he stopped and hunted fairly close.

Chickens at this time of year are tough to get close too. They are a bird that relies on "sight to flight". They see you long before you see them and when they doe they start flushing. Once and along while you can catch a straggler but not that often. Early morning in snowing or foggy conditions is when I have my best late season success. PS on all this: Blaze orange with chickens is like blaze orange with duck or turkeys.. No good.

Great video. Especially love the incoming shot on that rooster in the tree line. He just folds so nicely.

Great soundtrack. We'll have to talk about Aaron Lewis sometime.

Matt

Hi Matt,

Thank you for the insight on the chickens. I will have to learn to target them, and dress appropriately. I have blaze on my head and shoulders. Might have to put camo on my head.

I refuse to nick Echo when she is on birds. I want to encourage her pursuit. I do work the collar a bit if she looks like she might be heading on her own journey. Generally, she looks back to see where I am. I habe always been curious regarding why she does that.

Obviously, I edit the videos a lot so they are consumable. There is so much great dog work that I leave out. That was my first time hunting that treeline. The landowner was away and gave us permission (never allowed prior). There were at least a dozen roosters that found an exit despite 4 hunters covering many areas. Because the video is in slow motion, you cannot tell how fast the rooster was flying (even when gliding).

I am from a town north of Boston. Aaron is a Massachusetts man, and he is a hunter. I like his voice. Candidly, I am a heavy metal guy who just started listening to country music. I have a lot of comments from people that want to hear my voice and/or don't want to hear the music. I am a bit self conscious and I don't want to hear my voice.

Ross

I am from a town north of Boston. Aaron is a Massachusetts man, and he is a hunter. I like his voice. Candidly, I am a heavy metal guy who just started listening to country music. I have a lot of comments from people that want to hear my voice and/or don't want to hear the music. I am a bit self conscious and I don't want to hear my voice.

Ross,
I have never liked my voice on recording. I don't think I sound that way so I understand the self conscious thing.
Along time ago in a galaxy far far away I moved to Springfield, MA (when I was younger and dumb then wizened up and moved back to CO). Aaron was my construction business partners neighbor. Helluva a nice guy. He was a all around outdoor guy. His band was Staind at that time and they played the local venues around in WMass. That was before he hooked up with Fred Durst and went big. He was a bit hard rock then. Only recently he went country. I remember when he wanted to give my buddy Stanley's daughter a CD and Stanley said, "No that's not the type of music you should be listening to this young." Stanley and his wife Sue used to summer vacation with Aaron's parents on the Cape.

And yes I hunted pheasants there too......

Now that the season has settled and thing aren't so hectic I'll give you a call. We can go grab a beer over at Downhill Brewing Company and talk bird hunting and the East Coast...

Matt

Ross,
I have never liked my voice on recording. I don't think I sound that way so I understand the self conscious thing.
Along time ago in a galaxy far far away I moved to Springfield, MA (when I was younger and dumb then wizened up and moved back to CO). Aaron was my construction business partners neighbor. Helluva a nice guy. He was a all around outdoor guy. His band was Staind at that time and they played the local venues around in WMass. That was before he hooked up with Fred Durst and went big. He was a bit hard rock then. Only recently he went country. I remember when he wanted to give my buddy Stanley's daughter a CD and Stanley said, "No that's not the type of music you should be listening to this young." Stanley and his wife Sue used to summer vacation with Aaron's parents on the Cape.

And yes I hunted pheasants there too......

Now that the season has settled and thing aren't so hectic I'll give you a call. We can go grab a beer over at Downhill Brewing Company and talk bird hunting and the East Coast...

Matt

Matt,

Let's get that beer (s) and talk bird hunting. Fantastic story. I know Staind well. I liked his voice then, but my music preference is a bit harder (Pantera). I want to hear how you hunted pheasants on the Cape. I never touched a shotgun until I moved to Colorado 10+ years ago. I grew up watching Jimmy Houston, Roland Martin, Hank Parker etc and always dreamed of hunting. The move to Colorado gave me the opening. I remember taking my new O/U to Kiowa Creek in the dead of winter. I did not come close to a single clay in just over an hour at the range. Two years later, we adopted our first gundog. He was a kind and gentle 7 year old lab named Pride. I hunted with Pride for 4+ years. In the beginning we hunted alone, and I came back empty handed a bunch of times (100% my fault). I read a lot of pheasant hunting articles, watched some shows, and the intimidation factor lessened. Now, I could not happily exist without upland hunting with Echo.

We will connect soon.

Ross

I like your soundtracks too Ross.
They keep teasing us saying Stained is getting back together...……..

Check out three bands.

The Sword (featured in my 2016 and 2017 videos), Freedom Hawk (featured in my 2017 and 2018 videos) and John Garcia (formally lead singer of Kyuss). Great rock & roll.

Back