Opening Day

Uplandhunter67

Well the 2018-2019 season has begun. For myself and my hunting partner that means grouse.
We headed up Saturday morning to our annual spot West if the divide. We were a little apprehensive about getting into the area due to possible rain showers. The road gets a bit sporty when wet.
When we got there the road was dry as a bone so we headed in. This year we decided to start up high and work the pines, aspen pockets, and open grassy fields.
We parked and started in. We ran into a flock of sheep grazing just off the trail. Turning South to avoid the sheep we hunted along a ridge above a small stream. Suddenly grouse exploded in front of my hunting partner. Two quick shots and two grouse tumbled down the hill. The dogs charged down the hill to retrieve the downed birds.
My hunting partner said there were at least 8 birds in the covey and the flushed birds headed South through the aspens.
We tried finding them but they they disappeared some where in the aspen groves.
We worked our way higher pushing the edges of the aspens and pines.. Nothing for miles. I think there was to much water and finding grouse in those conditions is like finding needles in a haystack.
We worked our way back to the truck for a bite of lunch. We decided we’d move back down the hill and hunt some of our lower haunts. We had seen people covering the area but figured we could always pick up some singles.
We parked and started working a draw with a few sage knobs. Since we were working down the mountain I told my hunting partner I would loop West back towards the truck and meet him down the bottom.
I turned West and started working my way back to the truck in a big loop. I was working the sage covered slope with my springer crossing in front of me. Suddenly the first grouse flushes. A second shoots straight up off the ground I throw my shotgun to my shoulder and slap the trigger. He folds as a second grouse flushes in the same fashion. My second barrel drops him to the ground. As I reload three more flush and sail away. I call my springer over to recover the birds. He comes charging over and he quickly finds them both lying not more than 2’ apart.
I put the birds in my vest and continue towards where I though I saw the birds sail to. I come to a little cut in the hillside when a grouse flushes from the opposite bank. The first shot rocks the bird. The second shot crumples him and he crashes into the sage.
Limited out I headed for the truck. I drove down and picked up my hunting partner. We decided to call it a day and head back to town.
This was the first year in eleven seasons I had to leave my big black lab at home. His age is starting to show and this hillside is not easy. It’s better he stayed home. I’m going to limit him to pheasant hunting with short walks.
Heading out tomorrow and see if we can find some more birds..

View attachment 8444

Great story! Happy to hear about a successful hunt. Good luck today. I need to try grouse hunting one day.

Great story! Happy to hear about a successful hunt. Good luck today. I need to try grouse hunting one day.

Great story. Nice looking gun too; Browning Superlight? I went out today and my Chessies and I had good success as well in the Gunnison National Forest. Thank Goodness hunting season is finally here!!!

Thanks guys. Our day out on Monday was a walk in the woods. Seems my close to home grouse spot has turned into a popular hiking area. It was a nice morning out just the same.
The shotgun is my Upland Special. 24” barrels. Swings like dream. I’ve been using that gun since 1991. I have two other Superlights. One is my 20ga that was my first shotgun in 1978. The other is my 28” that has turned into my pheasant gun.
Chessie67 good to hear you got out and into birds. I too am glad hunting season has started. Seems like it took a while to get here!
Walk123 we still need to go have a beer. We could discuss grouse hunting.

Uplandhunter67 looks like you and the pup had a great time! I live down in the springs and generally target pheasant but would love to get into some of the other game birds here in the state.

do you have any suggestions on where to go for grouse/pheasant/quail? Not looking for your spots just general locations would be great!

Thanks and good luck this season!

Uplandhunter67 looks like you and the pup had a great time! I live down in the springs and generally target pheasant but would love to get into some of the other game birds here in the state.

do you have any suggestions on where to go for grouse/pheasant/quail? Not looking for your spots just general locations would be great!

Thanks and good luck this season![/QUOTE

Thanks.. We always do.
If I were chasing quail I would hit the public SWA’s along the Arkansas river East out of Pueblo. I’ve found Bobwhites there. You can also find Scaled quail around Pueblo and John Martin Reservoirs. You’ll have to burn some boot leather though.
As for grouse, those spots are like gold mines just a secret on the wind.. Grouse require a lot of boot leather. You’ll cover miles and never see anything but when you find them it is rewarding. I have never run into many grouse in the Southern part of the state. Look for National Forest land North of I-70 and hunt above 8500’. Only advise I can give you..:cool:

Hey Uplandhunter67,

Thank you for the info! I'll have to see if I can talk my brother in law into going after some quail this season! Getting east of Pueblo is just a hop skip and a jump for us! Thanks again for the info you provided! I'm glad there are so many people on this forum willing to chat and exchange info!

Back