Difference between pen raised and wild

ditchparrot007

I know the usual signs holes in beaks for blinders,tail feathers almost drug off, kick them to make em fly. Are there any other signs? These are birds in SD with a guide service. Any ideas will be helpfull and Thank You.

In my opinion wild birds wear track shoes, play RUN and hide Run some more than keep running !! After shot AND if NOT dead, pen raised birds are NOT near as hearty, meaning running some more, burying themselves in,under any cover, the instinct to survive is a HUGE difference between pen raised and wild. Pen raised birds are great for longer season, more dog work,training,knowing you are going to get shooting, maybe more of a "gentleman's sport" (no offensive intended)

Definitely second the wild birds being runners. Penned birds have more of a tendency to hold still, even under no cover. I was hunting with a fairly inexperienced lab and he pointed a rooster in the middle of a clearing of dirt. I came within 3 feet before it finally flew. Penned birds can release a lot of stress of a tough season...

I know the usual signs holes in beaks for blinders,tail feathers almost drug off, kick them to make em fly. Are there any other signs? These are birds in SD with a guide service. Any ideas will be helpfull and Thank You.

I have seen some really nice feathered pen birds that are tough to tell, but if you look closely at the primarys on the wings they will be split more near the tips, looking like a little v cut out..This is from beating their wings against the ground from being penned up..Once you know what to look for it is a bit easier.. Most would not notice it..Since I have raised them, I could compare on a regular basis.:cheers:

On this topic, I heard something about the white ring on the roosters' necks... I think the guy said wild birds have a ring that doesn't go all the way around, but a pen raised bird doesn't. To me it sounded a little fishy considering how coloring varies, but does anyone know more about this?

On this topic, I heard something about the white ring on the roosters' necks... I think the guy said wild birds have a ring that doesn't go all the way around, but a pen raised bird doesn't. To me it sounded a little fishy considering how coloring varies, but does anyone know more about this?

I think he may be accustomed to seeing pen-raised birds with Manchurian bred into their bloodlines. Their rings are not broken, plus some have a small white patch below and behind their wattles.

These bloodlines are found in an increasing number of wild birds. I've shot a good number of wild pheasants in South Dakota that have the white check patch and the continuous white neck ring.

Here's a photo of a pure Manchurian, not a cross, so his ring is very predominant along with his cheek patch. Once they are cross bred by breeders their rings become thinner and often the check patch is none-existent.

http://www.gamebirdexpert.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/02/Manchurian.jpg

Nick

Many pen raised birds will become runners if they have been out in the wild for a few days and have adjusted to their surroundings.

Most people have an experience of hunting pen raised birds that were in a fenced pen a couple of hours before they are pursued.

I really have no issue with any outfitter releasing supplemental birds to their operation or acting as a preserve as long as they do not make the claim of all wild birds. Having customers paying $600/day to shoot 3 pen raised roosters under the disguise of a wild bird hunt is shameful.

In my book, the three easiest ways to distinguish pen raised birds ...
poor quality tail feathers
flared nostrils
rooster ratio in a field is >50 - 60% even when season is mid/late

Some 25 odd years ago we were hunting SoDak and went by a spot where corn was left standing in rows about 15' wide. In each of these "rows" were dozens of roosters standing around. Some guy was driving up and down the road in a pick up truck trying to keep any road hunters at bay and he would stop and flush the birds back to the corn that had managed to wonder up close to the road.

Back