Need a guide

Mike Sears

I am new to the forum, I was raised in but have lived in Alaska for more than 40 years. My family hunted pheasants in western Montana. I have my grandfathers model 12 which he bought new in 1913 and hunted hard with it until 1962. I am heading to the Billings area this fall and would like to find a guide for a few days pheasant hunting during the first part of the season. I am flexible about dates as I am going to hunt PDs in the Sheridan area and fish a couple days while I am in the area. Any help I can get from members here would be appreciated. I can arrange for my food and lodging just need a low key guide for a two or three days.

Montana guide

a couple of ideas-

if you are interested in following world class setters, with a terrific man contact Al Gadoury at 6x outfitters, he guides for pheasants, but you depending on time of the year you are in Montana, could in the same hunt chase huns, sage, sharptail or even mountain grouse. I hunt on my own, and have never been a client, but he would make a trip to remember.

You might also look into the Hardin area, the Indian reservation there has several guides working, terrific habitat, and not too much pressure. Try googling fly fishing outfitters on the Big Horn river, and you will see several list pheasant hunting in the fall, and that is right north of Sheridan Wyoming

Still looking

I am still looking for a guide, so far none of the leads have panned out, only looking to hunt a few days. I am not looking for anything fancy just a little shooting. Please if you know a guide hook me up.

Those are both steep!!! I think he is looking for something less expensive!!! 600 bucks a day with no lodging is crazy!!!! I am not doubting there expertise or services, but holy cow!!! I am sure they get it, just not from people like me!!! Keep searching I guess!! May be a DIY hunt!! I know people say you get what you pay for, but I can't pay for that!!! I would wander around for 3 days and see what happens!!! Do your homework and you will do o.k.!!!!

Those are both steep!!! I think he is looking for something less expensive!!! 600 bucks a day with no lodging is crazy!!!! I am not doubting there expertise or services, but holy cow!!! I am sure they get it, just not from people like me!!! Keep searching I guess!! May be a DIY hunt!! I know people say you get what you pay for, but I can't pay for that!!! I would wander around for 3 days and see what happens!!! Do your homework and you will do o.k.!!!!

Good points, I wouldn't hire a guide either but that is just me. Remember outfitters use some of that money to lease private land and access for the rest of us gets harder and harder........

Really bleu you drop over 3k for a shotgun and your sweating 600 im not buying that one lol

Really bleu you drop over 3k for a shotgun and your sweating 600 im not buying that one lol

It was 2k !!!!! And it took 5 years of saving my pennies!!!! Good investment if I wasn't using it!!! They are well over 3 now!!!! Never owned a new truck!! Still driving the 89 4runner that was given to me!!! I pinch where I can!!! I Like my guns!!! So what,:cheers: if I look like the Beverly Hillbilly coming down the road!!!!LOL!!

guiding in Montana

don't know your timetable, I know Milk River outfitters in the Saco area, guides some late season hunters. I only know him as he has donated hunts for birds for the wounded warrior program in Montana several times... bird populations are on the upswing there I hear!

Good points, I wouldn't hire a guide either but that is just me. Remember outfitters use some of that money to lease private land and access for the rest of us gets harder and harder........

100% true could not agree more!!! everybody who pays to play always says why do you care what i do with my $$$ i does not effect you... well in a way it does if it becomes excepted in a hole area we are only allowing PAY TO PLAY hunters on our lands like some states i will not & need not mention...

like bleubijou said do a little home work & find the quality habitat & you should be just fine...

Hey Mike, is that Sheridan, Mt or Sheridan, Wy? If Wy, you'll be passing through my area. I'm north of Hardin on the Bighorn. I've been seeing a few birds, but we lost all of ours in a 5 mile wide hail storm in '11. Definitely more than last year, but not great. I've heard the upper valley (from Ft. Smith down had a real good last season and this spring and summer would make me think that would continue, so they'll eventually get back down here.

Anyway, I've been a knowledge thief from all different types of forums for many years, this one included.... much more of a lurker and learner than a contributor, you know? I also lucked into a great situation (for me, an old man had a stroke, so not so good for him) as I take care of a few sheep at my aunties farm, which is on the Bighorn, with a 30 acre island and a couple 40 acre fields. (beets and barley this year) Anyway, the pheasants aren't rebounded yet but there is some public land here in the area and my waterfowl location is pretty sweet. So, any forum members interested in coming out this way on the cheap, (I think what many of the lodges charge is insane) let me know. And, well behaved dogs are welcome. (they cannot chase sheep!! These black faced girls are known to lose lambs with much stress at all, and the rule is grim for dogs that chase, in all seriousness)
Another downside is that you'll have to endure my harping about the Constitution and medical marijuana, but it is what it is.

Not yet

I live near Talkeetna Alaska about 100 miles north of Anchorage. I have not gotten anything firmed up and I am still looking.

Consider a trade

Why don't you offer a trade. Salmon fishing in one of the rivers close to you for the Montana pheasant hunt. I'm sure a lot of land owners would jump at the chance and they know where their birds are on their own property. Maybe you could contact a BLM office in any of the towns in eastern MT and talk with them. Usually those offices are easier to talk to then state Fish and Game.

Thank you one and all

I wish to thank everyone here who responded with helpful advice. I believe I have a hunt solution for this year and depending on how thins go I might try to do a trade for a week of salmon fishing next year.

Thanks all

Mike, Let us know how Your adventure in MT goes.
Couple pics.
Good luck and have fun!

Mike ,good luck and it is nice to see that you gave thanks to these guy's. Most don't. It just shows that some common courtesy can go a long way. Please show us your adventure when you have the time!!! Thanks!!!:10sign:

Mike,
For sure post some pictures and make sure that Model12 doesn't get left out. 1913 is almost as old as they get. Good luck

Back