Big Sky Sporting Clays -Polson, MT

If you are near Polson, Montana and have some free time, Big Sky Sporting Clays is an awesome course. I have only shot it twice but was very impressed with the set up both times. The customer service is top notch. The have automatic thrower/controllers, that anyone can use (and you can do with one person if you don't have a shooting partner).

Anyway, nothing like some practice to sharpen the eye before the opener! :D

It is probably a good thing the course isn't closer to my house, as I would spend a LOT of money shooting there. :eek:

I used to live in Missoula in the early 1990s and hunted that area not that many years after the bear attack. Definitely more excitement than I need in my bird hunting day! :eek:

Now it is about a 250 mile drive.

The area around Nine Pipes is on a Reservation and requires special permits to hunt there. The first few days it is hunted pretty hard so its best to hold off for a couple of weeks. Lots of pot holes for duck hunting as a bonus.

I am going to shoot the Polson course tomorrow for the first time. I am excited I heard it is great fun. I have done 5 stand probably 10 times here in Hamilton and am hooked, at least till bird season gets here.

I remember that grizzly attack. Me and a buddy always jump shot ducks on Post Creek back in the day, I believe that happened really close to there. We usually hunted late season and most griz were already asleep, but I remember walking in and then walking out and seeing a fresh track where we just were that wasn't there a half an hour earlier. :eek:

I am going to shoot the Polson course tomorrow for the first time. I am excited I heard it is great fun. I have done 5 stand probably 10 times here in Hamilton and am hooked, at least till bird season gets here.

I remember that grizzly attack. Me and a buddy always jump shot ducks on Post Creek back in the day, I believe that happened really close to there. We usually hunted late season and most griz were already asleep, but I remember walking in and then walking out and seeing a fresh track where we just were that wasn't there a half an hour earlier. :eek:

Take lots of shells,there are 2 courses red/blue, each are set up for 100 shells. Also, it is cheaper if you pay cash versus credit card.

Have fun. :D:D:D

Thanks for the info Citori, I called them today and got some information. Which course do you like the most? I am only doing one course, I figure 95 out of a 100 would be a good day. :D

Thanks for the info Citori, I called them today and got some information. Which course do you like the most? I am only doing one course, I figure 95 out of a 100 would be a good day. :D

I shot the blue course both times, as I was told it was easier.....:rolleyes:

I think that course in Polson was the funniest thing a guy could do with his clothes on. I shot the blue course myself and had my wife do the puller and kept score. I shot 68 out of 100 and I did it this way. Every one but 1 had 2 traps so I did a single from each trap just to get oriented, and then a report and then a true pair (same time) if you were to shoot 8 times another true pair.

The one that was a single is called the rabid badger where you stand on a bridge and it comes up a gully and hits right under the bridge, I like to track them a little so I was trying to hit it at like 10 yards under me, any way I got a 1 out of 4 there. :mad:

Another one was brutal where I got a 1 out of 8 was crosser going away down the gully, I think it is dropping more then you think because at the bottom the gully goes up so really tough one. Trap 2 there was a hard left to right crosser but behind trees, very brutal all you saw orange tree orange tree orange tree orange tree. :eek:

I did go 8 for 8 on one station :cheers: but it was very fun, cost $36 for 100 targets and took about 1.5 hours, not very crowded and if crowded you can jump around. 100 shells were $24 so whole thing $60.

At one tough section I shattered the true pair just bang, bang and that made my day.:) Anyway you guys should try it if you get the chance. Hope I didn't sound like a bragger, I am not a great shooter just like to have fun and get ready for bird season.

One more reason to make a trip to Polson, we brought home 5 pounds of sweet fresh picked cherries.

Last edited:
Sure enough sounds like fun.:thumbsup:
Best dang cherries grown in the world right there.:)

Big Sky Sporting Clays is Closed for the winter. Does anyone know if they have a website?
I am looking for basic information like when they are open, hours of operation, cost, etc.
Looks like they have trap, skeet, and sporting clays...

Back